Skip to main content


When it comes to travel, it would be appropriate for students to refer to what the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) expects the F-1 students to follow.

View ICE Requirements

If you are leaving the United States temporarily, you must have certain documentation with you in order to re-enter. As an F-1 student, you are expected to have the following:

  1. Valid passport
  2. Valid F-1 visa stamped in your passport to reenter the United States
  3. Current travel signature from SIS on page 2 of your Form I-20
  4. Proof of having registered for the following semester

Dependents in F-2 status must also have valid passports and visas. Whether they are traveling alone or with the student, they must also have with them the appropriate Form I-20 signed by SIS. If students forget to have their Form I-20 signed by SIS before leaving the United States, they must arrange to have a replacement I-20 mailed to them through express postal service. The charges will be billed to them (charges cannot be billed to their student account — they must pay the amount by check made payable to “Biola University” to SIS immediately upon arrival at school). As this involves time and money, students are expected to have their I-20 signed by SIS before leaving.