Reach out for Academic Success
Flourish in your classes and future calling
Having trouble with one of your classes? Confused on the next step for your academic journey? Here are some resources from both inside and outside of Biola to help you flourish academically!
Biola Offices and Services
- Academic Advising — Get academic support for graduation plans, changing majors, course selection, and study abroad.
- Career Development — Help with networking, cover letter and resume writing, interviewing, and career planning.
- Learning Center — Receive accommodations for school, find tutoring and academic mentorship, or register for classes on strategies for success.
- The Rhetoric and Writing Center — Peer support with writing assignments, research reports, graduate theses and conference presentations.
- Study Abroad — Plan and book appointments for study abroad programs.
- Library — Borrow library materials, get individualized research help with individual appointments with a librarian, and find course reserves. And check out the Library’s FAQ’s page with live-chat for immediate help!
- Registrar’s Office — Ask about academic records and transcripts, browse the academic calendar, transfer course credits and prepare for graduation.
- Information Technology — Troubleshoot issues with technology, Canvas and Biola accounts.
Online Biola Resources
- Academic Steps for Success — tips for what to do each year of college!
- Note Taking blog by Norlan Hernandez
- Don’t Give Up blog by Zachary Alsens
- Four Tips for Success in an Online Class blog by Cristal Carrillo Vazquez
- Five Questions to Help Build a Mentoring Relationship with Your Professor blog by Christian Leonard
- Curating Your Study Space blog by Cristal Carrillo Vazquez
- Google Calendar — Color-code your calendar to easily schedule events, create reminders and share availability with other students.
- Notion — All-in-one workspace for taking notes, weekly agendas, monthly overview calendars and course organization.
- Quizlet — Flashcard app that lets you create and share your own flashcards with other students, play interactive games and create tests to help with memorization.
- Coursicle — Easily access course schedules and plan out your courses in advance.
- Coggle — Sketch mind maps and organize concepts and ideas by color.
- Pocket Points — Earn rewards and discounts for staying off your phone.
Biola is here for your academic success!
It is ok to ask for help! It may feel like you are the only one struggling, but you are not alone. In fact, in the past five years, there has been a 64 percent increase in Learning Center registrations and a 70 percent increase in tutoring and academic mentoring hours. Whether you are wondering about which courses to take next semester, how to apply for internships, or simply having trouble with one of your classes, we are here to support you and help you flourish.
Don’t forget, you are always more than welcome to schedule office hours with your professors! They are intentional about getting to know you and helping you prosper in their class.
At the end of the day, you are not defined by your academic achievements. You are so much more than the letters and percentages on your transcript. Your identity belongs in Christ, and you are a beloved child of God. God already knows your future course; you are simply on the journey to uncovering His perfect path.