Skip to main content

Tax Information


Students who are U.S. citizens and enrolled half time or more during the tax year will receive a 1098-T Tuition Tax Statement.

1098-T tuition tax statements are posted online on My Account. To view and print the form, please log in to My Account and go to Student Financials. You will find the form in the Statements section. You may wish to allow your Authorized Users to view this document. If you have difficulty opening the 1098-T statement, please go to your browser settings and turn off the pop-up blocker.

The data on the 1098-T form is for the tax year, January 1 – December 31, and reports payments toward your qualified educational expenses (QTRE), as well as scholarships and grants received. The dollar amounts reported on your Form 1098-T may assist you in completing IRS Form 8863, the form used for calculating the education tax credits that a taxpayer may claim as part of their tax return. For clarification on the amounts, you can view your account details at My Account > Student Financials > Account Balance > Payment History.

Depending on your income (or your family's income, if you are a dependent), whether you were considered full or half-time enrolled, and the amount of your qualified educational expenses for the year (QTRE), you may be eligible for a federal education tax credit.

Tax Credits

A tax credit reduces the amount of income tax you may have to pay. Unlike a deduction, which reduces the amount of income subject to tax, a tax credit directly reduces the tax itself. While a tax credit may be available to you, there are restrictions as to who is eligible.

To see if you qualify for an educational tax credit, and for help in calculating the amount of your credit, see IRS Publication 970, p. 9 (, Form 8863, and the Form 1040 instructions. The IRS may be reached at 800-829-1040 and you can visit their website at

University personnel may be able to answer certain questions about the 1098-T statement; however, the university is not permitted by the IRS to provide explanations for the requirements for any education credit that you may claim, how they are calculated, or provide filing advice. Should you have questions, you are advised to seek the counsel of an informed tax preparer.

American Opportunity Credit

For the tax year, you may be able to claim an American opportunity credit of up to $2,500 for qualified education expenses paid for each eligible student. This credit may be used for a maximum of four years per eligible student. This credit is limited by the amount of your income.

Lifetime Learning Credit

You may be able to claim a lifetime learning credit of up to $2,000 for qualified education expenses paid for an eligible student. There is currently no limit on the number of years the lifetime learning credit may be claimed for each student. It is available for all years of postsecondary education and for courses to acquire or improve job skills. It is limited by the amount of your income.