Skip to main content


Our English Language Program team is here to guide you through this process. Look through this page for answers to frequently asked questions, as well as links to important resources.

Biola Academic Information

Biola Housing

Global Student Information

Tutoring and Academic Services

Can I take part in ELP if I’m a current Biola student?

Current Biola students can request to take ELP courses by emailing

I am currently a university student in my home country. Could I receive language credits if I take ELP courses at Biola?

Please contact us directly about this request. International colleges and universities do accept Biola’s language courses for credit; however, Biola will need to contact your college/university to check if they will accept our courses as credit. If they will, we will send transcripts to your university directly.

Can international students work on an F-1 visa?

Yes, an international student on an F-1 visa may only work at Biola for up to 20 hours a week during the school semester and up to 40 hours a week during the summer break. Enrolled students can look at Biola’s on-campus job openings through Handshake.

What if I’m an international student currently studying in the United States?

If you are currently studying at U.S. school on an F-1 student visa and you would like to transfer to Biola University, please follow the Application Steps (ALP or AEP) listed under your program page. If accepted, you’ll need to complete the SEVIS Transfer Authorization Form. For more information, visit Visa Information or contact our international admissions team. In addition, our team will help you determine how your coursework transfers.

What should my TOEFL/IELTS score be to qualify for the English Language program?

To enter the English Language Program, you will need a high-intermediate level of English. This could be a TOEFL score of 70 or a IELTS score of 6.0. Biola is currently accepting Duolingo scores of 95. Additional assessment may be required.

Will there be tutoring service available for ELP students?

Yes, Biola’s Learning Center offers one-on-one and group tutoring, and the Rhetoric & Writing Center provides help with any writing assignments, research reports, graduate theses, conference presentations and conversational English for three free 50-minute appointments each week.

Are there scholarships available for ELP students?

Since the English Language Program courses are already offered at a discounted rate ($554/unit), there are no scholarships available through Biola. However, students are encouraged to apply for external scholarship opportunities.

Accelerated Language Program students are encouraged to explore Biola’s International Student Scholarships (Undergraduate). Academic English Program students are likewise encouraged to apply for Biola’s International Student Scholarships (Graduate).

Additionally, U.S. permanent residents and U.S. citizens students can apply for FAFSA.

Will there be someone to help international students transition to the United States?

Biola has more than 600 global students from 40 different countries, so there is a well-developed community through the Global Student Programs & Development (GSPD). GSPD is dedicated to seeing global students thrive in a more globally minded community at Biola by:

  • Providing transition services to California and Biola University, including orientations and workshops
  • Connecting global students to a network of university and community resources
  • Facilitating community-building opportunities among global students
  • Empowering students in intercultural identity development through community groups and leadership development
  • Offering cultural awareness events for the entire Biola community