Frequently Asked Questions
How much credit can I earn towards my Biola degree?
- Up to 25% of the degree may be fulfilled through Biola’s PLA (excludes external standardized examinations such as ACE, AP, CLEP, IB, etc.).
- PLA credit may only be earned for approved courses in Biola’s catalog (see PLA Guides below).
What are the steps for earning credit through a PLA portfolio?
Meet with an advisor
- First discuss the potential to fulfill academic credit through PLA with an advisor at Biola (e.g. admissions counselor, success coach, academic advisor).
Submit the PLA Portfolio Application Form.
- Application approval from the PLA coordinator and program director.
Create a portfolio
- Enroll in the one-credit course GNST 106 - Portfolio Development for Prior Learning Assessment.
- Submit the Official PLA Portfolio Submission Form to the Office of Educational Effectiveness, including the PLA Portfolio fee of $150.
- After taking the Portfolio Development for PLA course one time, students may submit subsequent portfolios for additional credit to fulfill other course requirements.
- The PLA Portfolio Application is required for subsequent portfolios, but the GNST 106 course is only required to be taken one time.
Assessment of the portfolio
- A qualified faculty assessor will evaluate the PLA portfolio and determine if the portfolio presents sufficient evidence that a student has fulfilled the relevant course learning outcomes.
- Faculty assessors hold the authority to determine any of the following outcomes:
- Approval – Student fulfills a course requirement and earns credit associated with that course (typically, 3 credits per course/portfolio).
- Approval – Student has a course requirement waived from requirements, but a student is still required to fulfill necessary units to graduate.
- Needs clarification – Students will be provided comments and questions regarding the portfolio and are given 2 weeks to provide sufficient clarification to the faculty for reevaluation.
- Denied – Student has not provided sufficient evidence of fulfilling course learning outcomes.
- Approval will be displayed on the student transcript as course requirement fulfilled with credits earned or course requirement waived.
- The process for PLA credit must be completed prior to the beginning of your last semester. Find Out How Much Credit You Can Earn