Biola’s Office of Innovation, housed in the Provost's Office, exists to empower Biola faculty, staff, and students to solve real world problems by leveraging the intellectual and spiritual capital of Biola; and to take steps toward innovative and entrepreneurial success by offering financial, practical, social, and mentorship support.
The vision of the Office of Innovation is to catalyze innovators and entrepreneurs to flourish in their giftedness and build Christ-honoring, world-changing ventures.
The mission of the Office of Innovation is to ignite innovators and entrepreneurs across Biola in order to impact California and the world for the Lord Jesus Christ.
Seven Core Values
- Failure: Document and learn from mistakes. Grow from them. Embrace a shame free and blame free mindset.
- Prayerful Risk: Step out boldly. Do hard things. Seek prayerful counsel.
- Decisive Action: Take the first step, and then the next.
- Abide in Christ: Above all else, Christ. Serve an audience of One.
- Collaboration: The best ideas come when we bring together our different strengths.
- Sustainability: An idea without an economically sustainable & mutually beneficial model, is just an idea -- and maybe a not so good idea too.
- Accountability: First and foremost to God; and also to one another.
Meet Our Team
Innovation Academic Advisory Council (IAAC)
The Innovation Academic Advisory Council (IAAC) is a collaborative group of innovative leaders from across Biola. The council assists us as we seek to be engage entrepreneurs and innovators from all fields and disciplines and consists of representatives from each of Biola's 9 schools:
- Cook School of Intercultural Studies — Dr. Michal Meulenberg
- Crowell School of Business — Laureen Mgrdichian
- Rosemead School of Psychology — Dr. Tamara Anderson
- School of Cinema and Media Arts — Dr. Gerald Fisher
- School of Education — Dr. June Hetzel
- School of Fine Arts and Communication — Dr. Carolyn Kim
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences — Dr. Melissa Schubert
- School of Science, Technology and Health — Dr. Douglas Axe, Dr. Tonya Dantuma
- Talbot School of Theology — Dr. Craig Hazen
Industry Advisory Council
The Office of Innovation Advisory Council, comprised of diverse members of the innovation ecosystem, has been established to expand the Office of Innovation’s footprint globally and to keep its offerings current with the marketplace. We are so grateful for our industry partners and their relevant and thoughtful insight as we seek to bring best in practice theories and knowledge to our community.
View Industry Advisory Council Members
- Allison Long Pettine, Founding Partner, Ad Astra Ventures, San Diego
- Amanda Tortortello, University of Pennsylvania, Master of Science (MS), Nonprofit Leadership, School of Social Policy and Practice, Master in Law (ML)
- Andrew Crowell, Vice Chairman of Wealth Management, D.A. Davidson Companies
- Brit Gilmore, Homeless Workforce Program Advisor, United Way Of Greater Los Angeles
- Christeen Rico, Store Experience Innovations at Apple
- Connie Salios, Entrepreneur and Former National Managing Partner, The Barnabas Group
- Danny Kim, Founder and CTO of FullArmor Corp
- Dr. Aby Mamboleo, CEO of Staff Today Inc. (STI)
- Dr. Naima Lett, Award-winning actor, producer and church planter of Hope in the Hills (Beverly Hills)
- Harold C. Taber, Former President/CEO of Hansen Beverage Corp. and former Group President of Coca-Cola Bottling Co. of Los Angeles
- Henry Walker, President, Farmers and Merchants Bank
- Jessica Rey, Founder and CEO, Rey Swimwear
- Jessica Tanoesoebidjo, Director at MNC Group, the largest and most integrated Media Company in South-East Asia
- Kevin Sutantyo, Partner of the Asia Portfolio for Sovereign’s Capital
- Lori Bae, Sr. Director Partnerships & Innovation, World Vision USA
- Louise Ukleja, Founder and Executive Director, Opportunity Schools
- Ram Gidoomal, former Chairman of the Board, Lausanne Movement and Chairman of Traidcraft and CottonConnect Ltd.
- Ruth Lopez Novodor, CEO at Beverly Oncology and Imaging
- Sherol Chen, Software Engineer at Google and CEO/Founder of Passion Talks International
- Steve Meilicke, Chief Financial Officer of Wedgewood, LLC,
- Thomas Ellsworth, Chief Administrative Officer, Beacon Healthcare Systems
Liaisons to the Board of Trustees
- Promod Haque, Biola Board Member and Senior Managing Partner, Norwest Venture Partners
- Dean VandeKamp, Biola Board Member and Chief Executive Officer at Vitaligent (also Advisory Board Member of the Biola Startup Competition)