Intercultural Education, Research and Assessment
The purpose of the Intercultural Education branch of the Division of Diversity & Inclusion is to empower Biola employees with a biblical vision of diversity and inclusion. We do this by providing research, assessment, and professional development opportunities that equip employees with practical intercultural knowledge, attitudes, and skills.
Intercultural Education Opportunities and Resources
Faculty, staff and students are welcome to participate in chapels, luncheons and workshops where Dr. King’s biblical vision of redemption, reconciliation and the creation of the Beloved Community will be taught, discussed and practiced amongst the Biola community. Look for announcements in My Biola in the Fall.
Reading Groups for employees are offered throughout the year as a means of digging deeper into a topic around diversity, equity, inclusion and reconciliation. Look for announcements in My Biola for more information.
Employees are invited to participate in Symphony, a 6-week program designed to deepen your intercultural knowledge, attitudes, and skills to enhance your capabilities in the workplace. Like a symphony in which many different instruments contribute to create a beautiful musical masterpiece, so do all of us in our diversity and unity. Check BiolaEngage to see when the next cohort opens.
- The Cross-Shaped Gospel: Reconciling Heaven and Earth by Bryan Loritts
- Right Color, Wrong Culture: The Type of Leader Your Organization Needs to Become Multi-Ethnic by Bryan Loritts
- One Blood: Parting Words to the Church on Race & Love by John Perkins
- Emotional Intelligence 2.0 by Travis Bradberry and Jean Greaves
- Cultural Intelligence: Improving Your CQ to Engage Our Multicultural World by David Livermore
- Leading With Cultural Intelligence by David Livermore
- Cultural Intelligence Center
- Key Step Media: Emotional Intelligence
- Emotional Intelligence & Diversity Institute
Articles & Videos
- Confronting Bias: Thriving Across Our Differences (Lynda.com course — login through Biola’s institutional account)
- The Danger of a Single Story by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (video)
- Six Ways the Bible Changed My Perspective on Ethnic Diversity (article)
- Diverse Theologians to Read (article)