Graduation Requirements (Graduate)
Steps to Graduation
- All students, except Talbot students, will need to meet with their department advisor before making an appointment with a grad counselor. Graduate Advisor Contacts List
- All graduate students should make an appointment for a graduation check with a graduate graduation counselor, in the Office of the Registrar, at least one year prior to their anticipated graduation date.
- Students who have already declared their intent to graduate, through meeting with a grad counselor and filling out the necessary paperwork, do not need to meet again.
- There is a $100 late fee if a student does not do this by the last day to add/drop classes in the semester he or she intends to graduate.
- Graduate students should call the Office of the Registrar at (562) 903-4720 to schedule an appointment.
Honors at graduation for master's program recipients are based on overall performance, Christian values, and a minimum 24-credit residency. Honors are not automatically granted. They are granted by the faculty and may be withheld or modified. The University honors have been defined by the Academic Standards Committee as:
Additional Graduation Information
- Absentia: All graduating students are expected to participate in the graduation ceremony. If extenuating circumstances arise, you must submit a written request to the Office of the Registrar for permission to graduate in absentia. This is required at least six weeks prior to commencement.
- Commencement Requirements: All degree requirements must be completed before the student may participate in commencement ceremonies. Undergraduate students completing the last of their coursework during Interterm or Summer must contact their graduation counselor to be cleared for graduation.
- Honors: For the commencement program, honors are computed based on the cumulative GPA of all work completed at Biola prior to your final semester. The honors on your diploma are computed based upon your final cumulative GPA at Biola.
- Name Changes: Name changes must be made in the Office of the Registrar and with the graduation counselor at least six weeks prior to graduation to ensure that the correct name will appear on the commencement program and on your diploma.
- Transfer Work: All transfer coursework must be received by the Office of the Registrar the semester prior to commencement. Graduate students are not allowed to take any coursework outside of Biola their final semester.