Skip to main content

Student Employment Resources

On-campus employment is handled by the Biola University Student Employment/Human Resources Office, located in Metzger Hall upper floor.

  1. Determine your class schedule for the semester and the hours you are available to work.
  2. Review the list of open jobs available, online at
  3. Fill out an online application on Handshake for the jobs that interest you. A link to the standard student-worker application is available at the bottom of every job posting in Handshake. Not every position uses the standard application, however; be sure to read the job description carefully and follow their instructions.
  4. The department will contact you for an interview, if they are interested. Again, some departments have different processes so you should read the department's information on the job posting carefully.
  5. Once you've been hired for the job, your supervisor will submit a Student Hiring Authorization Form (Note: The supervisor hiring the student should submit the form, which is available online on My Biola). 

Once Student Employment receives the Student Hiring Form, they will contact the student via email. Please follow the instructions regarding the completion of following forms:

  1. An I-9 employment verification form that satisfies federal immigration requirements. All hires are required to complete the form – this will be done in person.
  2. Set up an appointment with Student Employment to verify your I-9 documents (see list here).
  3. During your appointment, bring proof of eligibility to work (Social Security card, valid Driver's License, passport, or visa documentation).
  4. Student Acknowledgement Form 
  5. W-4 Federal Government Form
  6. International students (F-1 visa) must bring their I-20, passport, visa and social security card.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

After being hired at Biola, what’s the next step?

When you have been offered a job on campus you will need to connect with Human Resources to show proof of eligibility to work in the United States and complete the necessary hiring forms. A list of accepted documents* can be found on

  • Biola University Student Hiring Authorization Form (submitted by your supervisor to Student Employment)

  • I-9 employment verification form that satisfies federal immigration requirements

  • W-4 federal government form

  • Student acknowledgement

*Note: All documents must be original.

When do I have access to my timecard?

Once your forms have been processed, On-Campus Student Employment will process your hiring form and a timecard will be created for you at (Note: It may not be available until the time card due date at the beginning of the semester). You will be emailed instructions on how to access and complete future web timecards.

How many hours can I expect to work?

It is recommended that all undergraduate students limit their work to 25 hours per week on campus when classes are in session, and 32 hours per week when classes are not in session. 

Non-immigrant students attending on F-1 visas are federally required to work no more than 20 hours per week on campus when classes are in session, and no more than 32 hours per week when classes are not in session.

How do I get paid?

Student employees complete timecards online. Paychecks are issued biweekly by Payroll located in the Human Resources office in upper Metzger. 

If you would like to receive your paychecks electronically, fill out the direct deposit form. 

You may choose to have a portion of your paycheck applied directly to your student bill. This is accomplished by completing a voluntary payroll deduction form, which is available in the On-Campus Student Employment office.

Both the On-Campus Student Employment and Accounting departments are ready to assist you.

Are there any breaks?

You are allowed a paid rest period of 10 minutes in each of the morning and afternoon work periods if the work period is four or more hours. Rest periods may not be skipped to reduce time from regular hours of work in order to leave work early. Students are not required to work more than five hours without a meal break of 30 minutes. If the total work period for the day is not more than six hours, then the meal period may be waived by mutual consent between the student and the supervisor. If your shift is longer than six hours, a 30-minute, unpaid meal break is required. Meal time is unpaid and may be 30 to 60 minutes, depending on the department's schedule.

What about overtime and holiday pay?

Students paid an hourly wage are eligible for overtime pay. Overtime is paid at 1.5 times the regular hourly rate after 8 hours of work in one day or 40 straight hours worked in a week. Student workers are not awarded paid holidays. However, if a supervisor requires work on a holiday, the students will receive double time for working on Biola holidays. If the date of a Biola-observed holiday does not match the date of the nationally observed holiday, the holiday bonus will be paid to student employees who work on either day. However, if a student works on both days, only one day will be payable as a holiday.

What are my responsibilities as a student worker?

When you are hired for a position at Biola, you are making a serious commitment. The department that has hired you will depend on you to perform specific duties. Notify your supervisor promptly if you have a change of schedule, if you are sick or if you are going to be late. When you are unable to work, it is important to let your supervisor know at the beginning of the work day. Just as in any job, you will be expected to be prompt, reliable, dependable and willing to perform the work required. Should you decide to terminate your position, it will be important to give your supervisor a reasonable notice of termination.

Who is responsible for safety?

At Biola, we are very concerned about the occupational safety of faculty, staff and students. A hazard-free environment is not only safer, but also more enjoyable to work in; therefore, our desire is the prevention of work-related injuries and illness. After you are hired for an on-campus job, your supervisor will go over the Student Employee Safety Agreement Form with you. They will identify the potential hazards specific to your job and instruct you in how to safely operate any machinery your job may require. Consult your supervisor regarding safety expectations, as discipline for unsafe acts varies by department. Student workers are expected to refrain from horseplay and dangerous behavior on the job, and to consider their safety and the safety of others at all times. It is the policy of Biola University that the workplace be free of illicit drugs and alcoholic beverages, and free of their use. The University wishes to provide a drug-free workplace for its employees. The on-campus manufacturing, distribution, dispensing, possession or use of a controlled substance is unlawful, violates the University "Standard of Conduct" and is therefore prohibited.

What about taxes?

FICA (Social Security and Medicare) and DI (Disability Insurance) are not deducted from on-campus student employees who are enrolled in 12 or more units at Biola University and do not regularly work more than 20 hours per week. However, if a student works on campus when school is not in session, and is not enrolled in a class at Biola, the law requires that the FICA and DI be deducted from the student paychecks. Students attending Biola on non-immigrant (F1) visas are FICA and DI exempt.

What if I experience harassment on the job?

If any student believes that he or she is the victim of any type of harassment, including sexual or racial harassment, the student should immediately report the incident to an immediate supervisor. If that supervisor is involved in the problem, the report should be made to Human Resources. The University will fully and effectively investigate any such report and will take whatever corrective action is deemed necessary. The University will also take action to protect the reporting student to prevent further harassment or retaliation.

Is there a grievance procedure?

If a problem arises, first talk it over with your supervisor. Discussion usually leads to a better working relationship as well as a better working environment. If you fail to reach a satisfactory understanding with your supervisor, you may take the matter up with that person's immediate supervisor. You should notify your supervisor of your intent beforehand. If you are still unable to come to a satisfactory solution, you may take your concern to the Student Employment Administrator in Human Resources. Supervisors and department heads have a joint responsibility to be aware of and to resolve such employee-supervisor matters in a cooperative, mutually beneficial fashion. In almost all cases a solution is reached at this level.

Is there a dress code?

The university expects employees to be well-groomed and dressed in a manner appropriate for their work. In general your appearance should be modest, in good taste, safe and suitable for the work to be done. You'll find that the appropriate dress will vary by department. In Facilities Services or in food services, you will be required to wear a uniform. There may also be protective equipment such as safety goggles that will be required in some jobs. In other positions appropriate office attire could be important. It is helpful to check with your supervisor to learn exactly what is expected. A good rule to follow is to wear clothing that generally matches that of non-student employees doing similar jobs in the department. This is especially important in positions that "meet the public."

What happens if I am injured on the job?

If while on the job a student employee suffers an injury the student should report to the Biola Health Center immediately to obtain treatment. If it is a life threatening injury, the student should seek treatment at the closest ER. The Health Center is open Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m. The center will either treat the injury or direct the student to our primary facility for occupational injuries. The student will need to go to the Human Resources department to receive the appropriate worker's compensation paperwork. The contracted emergency medical facility that we use is St. Jude Heritage Medical Group at 2720 N. Harbor Blvd, Suite 130, Fullerton at 714-449-6200. Our secondary facility is Healthfirst Medical Group D North at 11817 E. Telegraph Rd, Santa Fe Springs at 562-949-9328. Within three days, after the student has received emergency treatment for his or her injury, the student must return the paperwork to the Human Resources office. On-the-job safety is included in the performance evaluation of all Biola employees.

Will my work performance be evaluated?

Biola encourages supervisors to evaluate student employees. This proves to be a valuable tool in helping student employees find out how they are doing on their jobs and provides an excellent means of communication and development.

Am I a part of Biola’s Commuter Incentive Program?

If you are hired on campus and start on or more of your workdays between the hours of 6 a.m. and 10 a.m., Monday through Friday, you may qualify in our commuter program. It could mean payment of a "dollar a day" by walking, biking, using transit, or carpooling to work. Biola's contribution to the cause for cleaner air is contained within the provisions of the Commuter Incentive Program. Enrolling in the program will be done by the information you provide on your Hiring Authorization form. You will find your commuter card in the “Employee Tools” section of MyAccount under “Benefits and Pay."

Name Change Policy

All name change requests by marriage, divorce or court order must be accompanied by official documentation in the form of a valid Social Security Card plus an additional, valid alternate identification. The following are considered valid alternate identifications:

  • Driver’s license
  • Passport
  • Marriage certificate/license
  • Military ID

Students should contact the Office of the Registrar for name changes.

Name Changes for Graduation

Name changes must be made in the Office of the Registrar and with the graduation counselor at least six weeks prior to graduation to ensure that the correct name will appear on the commencement program and on your diploma.