Skip to main content

Incoming Students

Getting Started

Begin Your Application

We highly encourage all prospective students to apply for housing as soon as possible. The earlier you start the housing process, the better your prospects are of receiving an offer. Even if you have yet to receive an acceptance letter from admissions or haven’t applied yet, you can start the housing process!

  1. Explore Your Options

    Biola offers three types of living situations for students and their families: traditional apartment complexes for Families, Suite style dorms, and a few off-campus houses. Learn more about each living situation:

  2. Read our Policies and Procedures.

    Please carefully read our General Information section and Current Resident section to have a clear understanding of our procedures and policies.

  3. Submit your Application.

    We strongly encourage you to apply to Housing immediately. Even if you have not received an Admissions decision you can still apply to Housing, with or without a student ID #. You must apply for Housing separately from Admissions. Once we receive your application, we’ll add you to the waitlist. Applicants will receive a response from Grad/Family Housing alerting them if they will receive an offer.

    International students must be cleared and have their visa status confirmed by the Global Student Programs and Development (GSPD) office.

    To apply, please complete an online housing application at any time.

  4. Purchase an Optional Meal Plan or use Student Dollars to Eat On Campus.

    Learn more about Dining Services.

General Information

Learn more about your eligibility for housing, housing rates and maximum occupancy, and housing availability.

Housing Eligibility

Although you may submit an application to Housing prior to being accepted into Biola, in order to be eligible to actually receive an offer from Grad & Family Housing, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Be accepted and enrolled as a full time student at Biola.

  • If you are an international student (not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident) you must be cleared by the Global Student Programs and Development (GSPD) office and have their visa status confirmed by GSPD.

  • Must be a full time student registered for at least nine master’s-level units or Three doctoral-level units of course work each semester. Married undergrad students must be registered for 12 units to be considered full time. **Please note that Modular, Credential, and Certificate students are not eligible for housing.

  • You must be enrolled in the semester you are applying for.

Housing Rates and Maximum Occupancy

Family Housing

Biola owns five apartment complexes with 46 apartment units. Monthly rent is based on the number of bedrooms and bathrooms per unit. The majority of the units are carpeted; all of them are provided with a refrigerator and stove/oven, but are otherwise unfurnished.

Rent Rate Comparison

Our intention is to offer rates that are 10-30% below the local market. For additional rate comparisons see the RentCafe website.

Eligibility & Rates for Family Housing

Apartments in our off-campus Family housing are for couples, families with children under 21 years of age, or single parents with children under 21 years of age.

Maximum occupancy is three persons per bedroom. Rates shown do not include utilities other than water and trash.

Unit TypeMaximum Occupancy2024/2025 Rent
Rosecrans Studio2 persons$1030/month
1 Bedroom/1 Bathroom3 persons$1300/month
2 Bedrooms/1 Bathroom6 persons$1565/month
2 Bedrooms/2 Bathrooms6 persons$1650/month

Eligibility & Rates for Grad Housing

Single full time graduate students. Rates shown do not include campus parking permits.

Unit TypeOccupancy2024/2025 Room Rates
Double-Occupancy Suite-Style Bedroom2 persons$650/person/month
Single-Occupancy Suite-Style Bedroom1 person$820/person/month
Double-Occupancy House Bedroom

2 persons

Single-Occupancy House Bedroom1 person$835/person/month

Housing Availability

Housing is offered year-round.  Residents continuing after Spring semester may stay through the summer if they are enrolled and will be continuing as residents through the upcoming Fall semester.

Housing is limited and is provided on a space-available basis to full time Biola students.  International and out-of-state students are given higher priority.

Because our residents are in a variety of academic programs we cannot necessarily predict when vacancies will occur until residents graduate or give notice. Therefore, we cannot guarantee what quantity of housing will be available for any given semester.  Additionally, we cannot guarantee that a specific type of housing or location will be available for any given semester.

Please note that Modular, Credential, and Certificate students are not eligible for housing.

Frequently Asked Questions

Is there a waitlist?

Our experience is that more students apply for housing than our vacancies can accommodate. Our wait list is not first-come, first-served, but is categorized as International, Out-of-State, or Local, and is prioritized in that order.

In order to ensure that as many applicants as possible receive housing, each applicant receiving an offer will be given one week to respond to that offer before being moved to the bottom of the waitlist.

When can I expect to receive an offer?

Typically, we confirm upcoming vacancies in May/June for the Fall semester, and in November/December for the Spring semester.  We will let you know as soon as possible after that time if we can offer you a room or apartment.  In the meantime, please do pursue off-campus (non-Biola) options so that multiple opportunities are available.

Please contact us if you have not heard from us within 6-8 weeks before the first day of the semester for which you are applying!

What type of housing is offered?

Families live in apartments located about a 10-minute walk from campus.

Unmarried graduate students live in single- or double-occupancy suite-style rooms on campus, or in off-campus houses adjacent to campus.

Is the housing furnished?

Family apartments are provided with a refrigerator and stove/oven but are otherwise unfurnished.

Graduate suite-style residence hall rooms are fully furnished with a standard twin bed/mattress, 3-drawer dresser, desk, desk chair, 2-shelf bookcase and closet space. Graduate houses are also provided with a couch, love seat, coffee table, dinette set, refrigerator, stove/oven and microwave.

How long is the Housing Contract/Lease Agreement?

Graduate Housing Contracts and Family Housing Leases are for the entire academic year and are legally binding documents. Residents who wish to move out before the end of their Contract/Lease will still be liable for the housing fees/rent until the end date of the Contract/Lease or until the Grad Housing Office is able to fill the space with a new resident, whichever comes first.

If you will be graduating at the end of a Fall semester, let us know before signing your Housing Contract or Family Housing Lease. In that case, we will adjust the end date of your Contract/Lease to the end of the Fall rather than Spring semester.

Residents who no longer qualify for housing (withdraw from or dismissed from Biola or no longer full time) are in violation of their Contract/Lease Agreement. Family Housing residents in violation are to vacate within 30 days. Grads in violation are to vacate within 48 hours.

Contact us for a sample Housing Contract or Lease Agreement.

How and when do I pay for housing?

Grad housing fees and Family Housing rent are due on the 1st calendar date of each month. After the 3rd day of the month a $25 late fee is also due. A $25 service fee will be added for any returned check.

Payments may be made in person by check or cash (exact amount). ACH payments are also accepted; see these instructions for setting up your account and making ACH payments. We may also be able to charge your student account if you have a credit balance available.

Must I find my own roommate for a double-occupancy grad room?

The Grad & Family Housing office will match roommates for double-occupancy suite-style rooms and double-occupancy house bedrooms using the lifestyle questions on the housing application and taking their ages and academic programs into account. However, if you would like to room with another grad student on our waitlist please let us know as soon as possible so we can find out if they agree.

If your roommate moves out, you are not responsible to fill the vacancy. However, you should be prepared to receive a new roommate at any time, since the Grad & Family Housing office will be working to find a replacement. Again, if you know another grad student who would like to room with you let us know as soon as possible.

Is parking available?

Each apartment in Family Housing is assigned at least one parking space in a carport or garage. Depending on the complex, there may be extra carport spaces available for rent.

Grad off-campus houses have garage and driveway parking. Some of them also have parking available on the street. Be aware of streets that are posted for permit-only parking; Biola cannot issue street parking permits.

Grad students living on campus may use adjacent parking lots or parking structures. A campus parking permit is required.

Can I have a pet?

Pets are not allowed in Grad & Family Housing. Students applying for a service animal or emotional support animal must obtain approval from The Learning Center before bringing an animal to any housing facility.

Whom do I contact if I need an accommodation?

Please contact the Office of Student Accessibility (OSA) if you need special housing accommodation.

How do I transfer to another room/apartment or change my Contract/Lease?

Residents may request to be moved to another room or building, or to another apartment type or complex. Approval is not guaranteed and depends on demand from incoming students and apartment refurbishment schedules. Please give the Grad & Family Housing office as much notice as possible that you wish to make a change; this may increase the likelihood of us being able to grant your request.

Am I required to have renter’s insurance?

Renter’s insurance is not required, but it is highly recommended. Biola University is not liable for damage to or theft of personal property, so it is best to be prepared for the unexpected.