Degree Completion Admissions Requirements
As an evangelical Christian institution, Biola University requires that an applicant has been a Christian for at least one year prior to admission. As adult learners coming back to school, we prefer that you have at least 45 credits already completed.
- We recommend 45 undergraduate semester credits acceptable for transfer to Biola.
- An approximate cumulative 2.5 GPA in all college-level work.
- We prefer a combined minimum of five years of life, work and/or ministry experience since graduating high school.
- Applied Psychology: Completed a general “introduction to psychology” course, equivalent to Psychology 200 at Biola, with a minimum grade of a “C” (2.0).
Please note that we consider a student's file for admission in a holistic manner and encourage you to apply even if you do not meet all of the bulleted requirements above. Please contact your Admissions Counselor with any questions.
Up to 70 credits of work from other accredited colleges or universities can be applied to your degree. Ask your admissions counselor for transfer credit guidelines.
- Your courses must be from an accredited institution.
- You must have earned a grade of “C” or better in the course.
- You must order an official copy of your transcripts from each school you have attended.
- Transcripts are only “official” when they are mailed directly to Biola from each school.
- No hand-carried or 2nd person transcripts can be accepted.
- Completing your AA degree at a community college might not satisfy all your general education requirements at Biola. Contact your admissions counselor for more information.
Credit for Prior Learning (CPL)
Biola recognizes that learning gained outside the traditional classroom setting is a valuable part of every person’s education. We use the following policies for this type of non-traditional credit:
- Biola will grant up to 30 semester credits as general electives for coursework on ACE transcripts, including military credit, StraighterLine, etc. Credit will be granted for "L" & "U" level courses only.
- We use CAEL Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) portfolios to assess knowledge that you may have from your career or experience that may not be transcripted with an accredited institution. This process involves a fee and a 3-credit course to train you on how to create a portfolio you may submit to request credit. CAEL credit may be used to meet core (general education) or elective requirements. Please contact your Admissions Counselor (applicants) or Success Coach (current students) for more information on this process.
CLEP/DANTES, AP and IB Exams
Biola University recognizes The College Board’s College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), which is funded through the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES). Credit for CLEP/DANTES general examinations will be awarded only in those areas where a general education requirement has not been met with previous college coursework and only up to the amount needed to complete the requirement. Biola accepts an approved scaled score of 50 or higher (higher score required where designated).
Biola University recognizes the merits of the Advanced Placement Program and will grant credit for AP exams taken in high school. Credit will be given when an AP exam grade is 3 or higher.
Biola University recognizes the merits of the International Baccalaureate (IB) and will grant credit for Diploma Programme exams taken during the final two years of high school. Credit will be given when the IB grade is 5 or higher.
A maximum of 32 credits may be transferred from these exams.