Skip to main content

Contract Cancellation

Cancellation Policy

  • A student who contracts for Graduate or Family Housing will be released from his/her housing contract if he/she officially withdraws (or graduates) from, or is no longer enrolled at, Biola University. The official withdrawal date is the date acompleted Departure Form is received in the Registrar's Office.
  • If a student vacates housing or otherwise wants to cancel his/her housing contract prior to the expiration of the full term of the housing contract, he/she must submit a written request to the Graduate & Family Housing Office for review. Moving out of Graduate or Family Housing does not constitute cancellation of the housing contract and does not release you from financial responsibility for all relevant charges. 
  • If the housing contract is terminated prior to the end of the contract’s term, the University may require the student to pay all charges for the full remaining duration of the contract or until the University finds another eligible occupant to take the student’s place.
  • Regardless of when Contract cancellation is submitted or approved, official cancellation will not take effect until you have properly completed checked out of housing as described in this document.
  • In the event that Biola University closes University Housing or its campus due to guidance from local, state, or federal authorities for public health reasons, including coronavirus, Biola University will terminate the Housing Contract, and students will be required to vacate the premises within the timeline established for vacating the premises in the event of contract termination.


Vacating Premises

  • If your housing contract is terminated, our expectation is that you will vacate the room, apartment, or house within 48 hours unless special permission, in writing, has been obtained from the Associate Director of Auxiliary Operations or his/her designee.
  • If you leave any belongings in or outside the room, hall, house, apartment, carport, garage, patio, yard, external storage locker, kitchen, or laundry room or on any University-owned or -managed property, the item(s) will be considered abandoned property and disposed of, and you may be billed a disposal charge.



  • Upon completion of the full term of the housing contract, students who have vacated housing and properly completed checkout as described in this document, will receive a prorated refund of unused housing fees already paid for the balance of that month. The security deposit, less any damage costs or unpaid housing fees, will be refunded at the same time.
  • Refunds are calculated from the beginning of the day following the date on which you properly check out of Graduate or Family Housing.
  • Refunds will be issued within three (3) weeks of checkout from housing.
  • Dining Plans must be canceled explicitly and separately from housing by contacting the Dining Services Office.