Skip to main content


There are two kinds of employment as follows:

  1. On-Campus Employment — 8 C.F.R. 214.2(9)(i)
  2. Off-campus employment — 8 CFR 214.2(f)(9)(ii)

F-1 students who are maintaining status may engage in on-campus employment at Biola. When it comes to off-campus employment, it is important that students pay serious attention to getting the work permit from the Department of Homeland Security before starting off-campus work. It is very crucial to understand authorized (legal) versus unauthorized (illegal) employment. Engaging in unauthorized employment constitutes a failure to maintain your F-1 immigration status, and has severe consequences. Hence, students must consult SIS at the Registrar’s office before starting any off-campus employment. To understand the basic guidelines on the above two kinds of employments, visit the U.S Department of Homeland Security employment site.

Biola On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment is available on Handshake. Students do not need to apply for a work permit to work on campus. If you are interested in any on-campus employment, stop by the Human Resources Office with your class schedule, I-20 and student identification card to find out the possible openings for student employment. Once you receive a job offer, your supervisor will issue you a Biola University payroll approval form and a W-4 tax deduction form. Bring these forms along with your valid passport, visa, Form I-20 and Social Security Card to the Student Employment Office. Follow carefully the instructions given to you by the employer. Students will need to see SIS about applying for a Social Security Number before going to Social Security Administration.

How do I find jobs on campus as a global student?

Biola outlines many opportunities for on-campus employment through Handshake. In addition to that, there are many Student Leadership Opportunities on-campus (some paid, some unpaid).

With a little effort and networking, you can find something on-campus. Most on-campus jobs are found by asking around, being referred by other students, or getting involved in student clubs and organizations. A great resource to help you as you apply for jobs is Biola Big Interview, where you can register for a free account with your Biola email and gain video advice and assistance in resume-building, interview tips, and overall job-search skills.

Do I need a Social Security Number?

Yes, all F-1 students who will be employed need to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN). You will apply after receiving a job offer. For more information about this process, please see Social Security Numbers.

F-1 On-Campus Employment Rules

In the fall, spring, and summer semesters, Biola students are limited to 20 hours per week of on-campus work.

F-1 on-campus employment authorization ends at the expiration of the I-20 OR the end of the student’s final semester of enrollment, whichever occurs first.

F-1 students will need to apply for a Social Security Number for all paid on-campus work.

How do I apply for Off-Campus Employment?

  1. Obtain a letter from your sponsor describing the unforeseen situation that led to withdrawal of their support — partially and not fully — as promised when the I-20 was issued at the time of admission. The letter should be addressed to USCIS.
  2. Write a letter stating the unforeseen reason for applying for off-campus employment, and also explain in the letter why other employment options are unavailable or insufficient (a simple statement might suffice). The letter should be addressed to USCIS.
  3. Make an appointment with SIS to apply for this employment. SIS will help you to submit all the needed documents to the USCIS Service Center. If employment is authorized, USCIS will issue you an Employment Authorization Document. If the application is denied, USCIS will indicate the reason for the denial in writing.