B.A. in Cinema and Media Arts
At the heart of every young filmmaker is the love of story. In Biola’s cinema and media arts program — a national leader among Christian film schools — you’ll receive the instruction, mentorship, technical training and hands-on experience you need to become an exceptional visual storyteller. Working with accomplished professors and industry professionals in an ideal Southern California setting, minutes from Los Angeles and the largest studios, you’ll be prepared to compete and succeed, alongside our alumni, in the entertainment industry.
Why Choose Cinema and Media Arts at Biola?
In addition to its strong curriculum, expert faculty members and biblical integration, Biola’s cinema and media arts program offers several key advantages:
- A commitment to developing the whole filmmaker — craft and character.
- An intentional student art community. The essence of film production is collaboration, not competition. We are friends who work together, and this sense of community permeates your experience both as a student and alumni.
- Access to state-of-the-art equipment, including 6K cameras, full-range lens kits, lighting instruments, microphones and support gear, nearly $3 million worth of gear in all. No need to wait years before touching equipment and making films. Our students have access to cameras and equipment to start creating right away!
- 24-hour access to our 10,000-square-foot Production Center, featuring a sound stage, recording room and over a dozen video and audio editing facilities — which you can explore through our virtual tour.
- A location less than 20 miles from Los Angeles — the “entertainment capital of the world” — students have the ability to secure internships at Hollywood studios, television networks and entertainment companies.
- Valuable student experiences through several off-campus programs such as Biola Sundance, Biola London, Los Angeles Film Studies Center, International Film Program and the Contemporary Music Center in Nashville, Tenn.
- Over 200 industry professionals who support Biola's cinema and media arts program through classroom teaching, mentoring, internships, job contacts and financial gifts.
- In Focus Forums, screenings and seminars. Located both on campus and at studio lots such as CBS Studios, these give students opportunities to interact with Hollywood directors, producers and other industry professionals.
What Will I Study?
Throughout the cinema and media arts program, you will have numerous learning opportunities that focus on equipping you to serve as an observer, interpreter and creator of mass media through a Christian worldview. There are three areas of study to select from: production, writing for the screen and media producing. Learning topics and course highlights include:
- Visual storytelling
- Writing for television and film
- Integration of faith and filmmaking
- Exploring truth and beauty through art
- Cinematography and lighting
- Casting and set design
- Documentary production
- Business practices in the entertainment industry
- New and emerging media
- Marketing and distribution
The CMA Department created a safe environment where I was able to connect with equally aspiring filmmakers and figure out exactly what I wanted to do. CMA put a camera in my hands and let me experiment and learn through my mistakes and successes.
Many career opportunities in film, television, research or business await future graduates of Biola's cinema and media arts program. As a well-equipped professional, you can expect to impact the world for Jesus Christ in professions such as:
- Sound Design
- Music Video & Commercial Directing