At the heart of every young filmmaker is the love of story. In Biola’s cinema and media arts program — a national leader among Christian film schools — you’ll receive the instruction, mentorship, technical training and hands-on experience you need to become an exceptional visual storyteller. Working with accomplished professors and industry professionals in an ideal Southern California setting, you’ll be prepared to compete and succeed, alongside our alumni, in the entertainment or documentary industry.
Why Choose Cinema and Media Arts at Biola?
In addition to its strong curriculum, expert faculty members and biblical integration, Biola’s cinema and media arts program offers several key advantages:
- A commitment to developing the whole filmmaker — craft and character.
- Access to state-of-the-art equipment including 6K cameras, full range lens kits, lighting instruments, microphones and support gear, nearly $3 million worth of gear in all.
- 24-hour access to our 10,000-square-foot production center, featuring a sound stage, recording room and over a dozen video and audio editing facilities.
- Located less than 30 miles from Los Angeles — the “entertainment capital of the world” — students have the ability to secure internships at Hollywood studios, television networks and entertainment companies.
- Students receive valuable experience through several off-campus programs such as Biola Sundance, Biola London, Los Angeles Film Studies Center, International Film Program and the Contemporary Music Center in Nashville, Tenn.
- Over 200 media professionals support the CMA program through classroom teaching, mentoring, internships, job contacts and financial gifts.
- The Biola Media Conference and Event Series brings film screenings and guest speakers to campus throughout the year, giving students the opportunity to interact with Hollywood directors, producers and other industry professionals.
What Will I Study?
Throughout the cinema and media arts program, you will have numerous learning opportunities that focus on equipping you to serve as an observer, interpreter and creator of mass media through a Christian worldview. There are three areas of study to select from: production, writing and management. Learning topics and course highlights include:
- Visual storytelling
- Writing for television and film
- Integration of faith and filmmaking
- Exploring truth and beauty through art
- Cinematography and lighting
- Casting and set design
- Documentary production
- Business practices in the entertainment industry
- New and emerging media
- Marketing and distribution
Many career opportunities in film, television, research or business await future graduates of Biola's cinema and media arts program. As a well-equipped professional, you can expect to impact the world for Jesus Christ in professions such as:
- Sound Design
- Music Video & Commercial Directing