B.S. in Design
Design is all around us. The advertisements we watch, the publications we read, the websites we visit, the products we use — all of them rely on the work of skilled visual designers. In Biola’s design major, you’ll receive extensive training in art theory, digital tools and contemporary trends, preparing you to use your creative talents in a wide range of careers.
In addition to its strong curriculum, expert faculty members and biblical integration, Biola’s design program offers several key advantages:
- Biola’s art department is a recognized leader in visual arts education, accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design. The university offers a vibrant visual arts community including a dedicated, mentoring faculty, a strong student Art League and a diverse student body.
- The innovative Biola University Center for Christianity, Culture and the Arts brings renowned artists, exhibitions, film screenings and conferences to campus — offering a wealth of opportunities to students.
- Biola’s ideal Southern California location gives you access to world-class art museums and exhibitions, as well as a wide range of professional internship and exhibition opportunities. The program features a dynamic approach to art history and art criticism that engages students in Los Angeles and the greater Southern California area’s galleries and museums.
- As a design student, you’ll have opportunities for travel and academic courses in a variety of places, including England, Italy and New York City.
- The art department's new home inside the renovated Bardwell Hall , which opened in 2021, serves as an ideal place to create, ideate, congregate and find inspiration.
- Biola offers the Torrey Honors program, which can enhance your art education. This unique honors program immerses you in discussion-based courses that will prepare you to express your creative passions and ideas with clarity and power.
Yes! Tell Me More!
What will I study as a design major?
Throughout the design program, you will have numerous hands-on learning opportunities to become immersed into the Los Angeles visual arts culture. The rigorous liberal arts-based curriculum will equip you to integrate your aesthetic, technical and conceptual skills with a Christian worldview. Some course highlights and interesting topics include:
- Tools and techniques of visual computing
- Exploring and applying time dimensional design concepts
- Survey of Western visual art and architecture
- Use of digital and analog tools
- Current movements in the international art community
- Building and applying typesetting skills
- Art criticism
- Refining techniques in various art disciplines
- Critiquing and evaluating artwork of fellow students
- Evaluating contemporary art from a Christian perspective
Bible and Theology Coursework
As part of Biola’s commitment to a biblically centered education, most undergraduate students complete 30 credits of biblical and theological studies as a part of their degree program. Learn more about our Bible and theology core.
See for yourself the amazing works of art created by our students across different disciplines.
Career Outlook and Preparation
What can you do with a Bachelor of Science in Design?
Many career opportunities in education, ministry, film and technology await future graduates of Biola's design program. As professional artist/designer, you can expect to impact the world for Jesus Christ in rewarding professions such as:
- Film and commercial set designer
- University professor
- Print designer
- Museum curator
- Web designer
4% job growth
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, job growth for art directors is projected to be as fast as average between 2021 and 2031.
BLS projections are not specific to Biola University students or graduates.
Learn about Biola’s admissions requirements, steps to apply, application deadlines and more at our Undergraduate Admissions page.
Schedule a Visit
Learn more about this program by attending an upcoming event for prospective students and parents, or by scheduling a personalized visit.
Tuition and Financial Aid
Biola is more affordable than you might think — dramatically lower than the “sticker price” in most cases — with 100% of incoming undergraduate students receiving some form of financial aid.
Chair, Department of Art
- M.A., California State University, Long Beach
- M.F.A., California State University, Long Beach
- B.S., Biola University
Associate Dean, Division of the Visual and Performing Arts, School of Fine Arts and Communication
- Ph.D., Princeton University
- M.A., Princeton University
- M.A., University of Florida
Professor of Art
- M.F.A. in Sculpture, School of the Art Institute of Chicago
- B.S. in Art, University of Northwestern–St. Paul