Celebrate Being FirstGen!
Am I a FirstGen student?
A first generation college student is someone who is in the first generation of their family to graduate with their bachelor’s degree. FirstGen students come in many variations! Perhaps one or both of your parents attended college but haven’t graduated with their bachelor’s degree. Or maybe your parents graduated from college in another country, or your weren’t raised by your biological parents who attended college. Or maybe your parents are going to college at the same time as you! Whatever your story, we are glad you are at Biola!
Services for FirstGen Students
- Mentorship: Interested in being mentored by a peer, faculty, or staff member? We will match you with someone who will encourage you and help you navigate the complex and confusing college environment. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a mentor.
- Housing: Want to live with other FirstGen students? We have designated floors in Blackstone Hall for FirstGen students! Contact the Housing Department for more information.
- College success workshops and community-building events: Make the most out of the your time at Biola — join other FirstGen students for college success workshops and community-building events throughout the semester. College success topics include job- and internship-hunting, resume-building, financial aid, budgeting. Community-building events we’ve hosted in the past have included a puppy party, dessert nights, and a banquet.
Looking for Scholarships?
Start your search here!
- TELACU College Success Program & Biola’s Matching Award
- CollegeScholarships.org — First in Family
- Scholarships.com — First in Family
- Unigo.com — First Generation Scholarships
- CollegeGrant.net — First Generation Grants & Scholarships
FirstGen Scholars Program
If you are a prospective student, consider applying for our FirstGen Scholars Program!