B.M. in Music Performance
The Bachelor of Music Degree in Music Performance at Biola's Conservatory of Music is designed to help you develop your skills to the highest level possible within a four year degree, all within a supportive community of musicians dedicated to helping you grow.
Request More Information
Why Choose Music Performance at Biola?
- Biola University is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music
- Highly respected, experienced faculty
- Strong academic preparation for graduate school
- Over twenty performance ensembles
- Active chamber music program
- Weekly studio classes
- On-campus performance competitions
- Masterclasses by world-renowned artists
- Supportive community of dedicated Christian musicians
- Close proximity to Los Angeles and access to performances by world-renowned artists in music genres from classical to pop, jazz and world music
- Minor in Biblical Studies (30 units)
- Special scholarships and awards available to performers
What Will I Study?
As a Music Performance major you are assured a comprehensive and enriching musical education through a broad range of onstage opportunities and in-depth classes. Graduate with a wide-array of solo, chamber and large ensemble performance experience. Concentrations offered for this degree are in the areas of Voice, Instrumental, Piano and Organ performance.
Attending Biola as both a nursing and music performance student allowed me to glean from a host of professors and peers that have lived out their faith in a variety of professions. The personal and spiritual growth that I experienced from my time at Biola has empowered me to share Christ’s love with others regardless of whether I am giving medications to a patient in the ER, playing my viola in church or assisting in compiling the district reports of teenage pregnancy and newly acquired HIV infections in an African village.
Performance (Viola) '10, B.M. and Nursing, B.S. '10
Biola gave me incredible opportunities to perform lead solo roles while I was a student, something that became a huge advantage to me when I went on to study in London. I also had close working relationships with all the members of the staff and production team and first-hand (sometimes hands-on!) knowledge of all the elements of being a part of a wonderful show. Biola helped me begin to build a strong foundation of teamwork, respect, professionalism and the sheer joy of bringing music alive on-stage.
Performance (Voice), B.M. '04
Biola's gifted professors and loving community met me where I was at, helped to foster my growth, and inspired me to become the best musician I could be. Numerous ensembles and performance opportunities provided me with priceless experiences to work with many other musicians in different settings that prepared me for the professional world. After graduation I have been blessed to continue my relationship with the people I met at Biola (both faculty and students) who continually support me and show me what it means to truly trust God with my music career.
Performance (Drums and Percussion), B.M. '14
Everything we do should bring glory to God and Biola's Conservatory has allowed me to do that through my music with the violin, either in orchestra, chamber groups and individual practice.
I would like to thank the music department (now conservatory) as a whole for your commitment to providing an outstanding music education integrated with a Christian worldview for students such as I was. I know God led me to attend Biola and my time spent there greatly affected the direction of my life.
Performance (Piano) and Music Education, B.M. '94
Music Performance majors have gone on to top graduate schools or positions in major music companies or institutions enjoying successful careers such as:
- Performing artists in professional orchestras and opera houses
- University and K-12 educators
- Private studio instructors
- Session and solo singers and instrumentalists and recording artists
- Choral and instrumental conductors
- Recording engineers and producers
- Creative business entrepreneurs
What are Graduates Doing Now?
Biola Performance Majors have gone on to pursue professional careers, while performing in organizations and companies such as:
- Baltimore Symphony
- Atlanta Opera
- Tuscany Symphony Orchestra
- Ahmanson Theatre Orchestra
- Kaleidoscope Chamber Orchestra, Los Angeles, Calif.
- Elaine Wolf Theatre, Denver, Colo.
- Tri-Cities Opera, New York, N.Y.
- Disneyland Parks
- Carnegie Hall
- Major Los Angeles Recording Studios
- Houston Grand Opera
- Royal Opera House, London
- America's Got Talent, as a member of "Vox," the classically-trained vocal quartet specializing in opera, musical theatre, & crossover music