B.A. in Bible, Theology, and Ministry
As Christians, we’re called to love God, love people and live faithfully in Jesus Christ according to God’s Word. Through Biola’s Bible, theology, and ministry major, you’ll develop the tools you need to effectively study Scripture and theology, expanding upon your spiritual gifts and ministry skills. You will be prepared in person or via our online biblical studies degree, the B.S. in Bible, Theology, and Apologetics program, for leadership roles in church ministry, missions, parachurch ministries, teaching, or graduate studies in seminary.
Biola's B.A. in Bible, Theology, and Ministry bachelor's degree program offers 10 different accelerated master’s degree pathways, which means you can finish your bachelor’s and master’s degrees in five years or less. If you are interested in a fully online learning experience, consider the B.S. in Bible, Theology, and Apologetics degree.
In addition to its strong curriculum and expert faculty members, Biola’s Bible, theology, and ministry program offers several key advantages:
- The program is housed within Biola’s Talbot School of Theology, one of the nation’s leading seminaries.
- This program offers several accelerated master’s degree pathways, which means you can complete your bachelor’s and master’s degrees in 5 years or less.
- The flexibility of electives allows you to design a program that is custom-fit to your specific academic and ministry objectives.
- Small class sizes give you an opportunity to form deep relationships with your professors and fellow students.
- In a recent Payscale survey, pastors and ministry leaders were more likely than any other vocation to find their work highly satisfying (90%) and highly meaningful (98%).
- All full-time teaching faculty have earned doctorate degrees and have served the church in a variety of ministry roles.
- Our Southern California location puts you in close proximity to countless ministry and internship opportunities.
- Bible and TheologyThe Bible and theology concentration takes a deep dive into Scripture and theological teaching, honing your understanding of God’s Word so you’re well-equipped to work and minister in various settings. There is no additional biblical languages requirement in this concentration. This concentration has a specific accelerated master’s program option leading to an M.A. (Bible Exposition) — allowing you to earn a B.A. and an M.A. together in 5 years or less.
- Bible, Theology and Biblical LanguagesIn the Bible, theology and biblical languages concentration, you’ll learn to study Scripture in one of the biblical languages: Old Testament Hebrew or New Testament Greek. This, in addition to in-depth theological training, equips you to know and teach the truth of God’s Word. This concentration has four accelerated master’s program options, including M.A. (New Testament), M.A. (Old Testament) and M.A. in Christian Ministry and Leadership (Preaching and Pastoral Ministry), and M.Div. — allowing you to earn a bachelor's and and master's degrees together in 5 years or less.
- Christian MinistriesThe Christian ministries concentration is designed to develop your abilities and spiritual gifts for leadership in parachurch organizations or specialized ministries within the church. Along the way, you’ll gain biblical wisdom and practical insights to help disciple the specific groups to which you have been called — whether children, youth, adults, families or others. This concentration has a specific accelerated master’s program option leading to an M.A. in Christian Ministry and Leadership (Christian Ministry and Leadership) — allowing you to earn a B.A. and an M.A. together in 5 years or less.
Yes! Tell Me More!
What will I study as a Bible, theology and ministry major?
Throughout the Bible, theology and ministry program, you will engage in coursework that examines the Christian faith, brings deeper understanding of Christian doctrine and helps you develop your skills as a ministry leader and thoughtful interpreter of the Word of God. Coupled with integrated liberal arts and sciences general education courses in Biola's core curriculum, Biola's biblical studies program and online biblical studies programs prepare you broadly for a lifetime of ministry.
- Foundational Old and New Testament knowledge
- Principles for biblical interpretation
- Personal spiritual formation
- An overview of theology
- Principles of evangelism, missions, and discipleship
- Practical ministry skills
- Equipping lay leadership
Bible and Theology Coursework
As part of Biola’s commitment to a biblically centered education, most undergraduate students complete 30 credits of biblical and theological studies as a part of their degree program. Learn more about our Bible and theology core.
Career Outlook and Preparation
What can you do with a B.A. in Bible, Theology, and Ministry?
Students who graduate with a Bible, theology and ministry degree leave Biola prepared to confidently take the next step in their vocational journey. Many pursue seminary or graduate school, and others go directly into ministry work. After graduation, our students pursue:
- Ministry roles in churches (lead pastor, pastors of youth, children, small groups, counselors, church administrators)
- Graduate studies (including Talbot School of Theology’s accelerated master’s programs, and other institutions like Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Dallas Theological Seminary, Gordon Conwell Theological Seminary, Wheaton, Denver Seminary, Princeton Theological Seminary, University of St. Andrews, University of Aberdeen, University of Oxford)
- Roles in parachurch ministry leadership (e.g. Christian camps, university outreach, specialty ministries, nonprofit organizations)
- Church planting and missions work
- Careers as Bible professors and teachers in Christian schools
Since being here at Biola, I’ve picked up on some things that set Biola apart, perhaps most notably the emphasis on spiritual formation. Rather than having a lot of new knowledge in our brains but no new transformation in our souls, I am loving the way Biola is deeply concerned with the people we are becoming. No matter what our vocations are, Biola wants to prepare us to impact the world for Christ, just like our mission statement says.
If you want to work in church ministry, this should be the only option you consider. It is the best preparation you can receive in the undergrad setting for vocational ministry.
Christian Ministries, B.A. '15
Come with an expectation that you will hear from God. Be faithful in your studies. Apply what you learn and you will blessed.
Biblical and Theological Studies, B.A. '13
Accelerated Master's Program
Earn a master's degree with just one additional year of study after completing the B.A. in Bible, Theology and Ministry program.
Learn about Biola’s admissions requirements, steps to apply, application deadlines and more at our Undergraduate Admissions page.
Schedule a Visit
Learn more about this program by attending an upcoming event for prospective students and parents, or by scheduling a personalized visit.
Tuition and Financial Aid
Biola is more affordable than you might think — dramatically lower than the “sticker price” in most cases — with 100% of incoming undergraduate students receiving some form of financial aid.
Associate Professor of Theology
- Ph.D., Wheaton College
- M.Div., The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
- B.Sc., University of Western Ontario
Professor of New Testament
- Ph.D., Westminster Theological Seminary
- M.A., Talbot School of Theology
- M.A., Trinity Theological Seminary
- Th.B., Multnomah University
Associate Professor of Christian Ministry
- D.Min., Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
- M.Div. Pastoral Ministry, Regent College
- B.A. Speech Communication, University of Illinois