Online B.S. in Applied Psychology
At its core, applied psychology is about understanding how people think, act and relate — and we believe that a Christian worldview is an essential part of this understanding. It is because of this belief that Biola’s fully online Bachelor of Science in Applied Psychology is designed to integrate the scientific, research-driven study of human behavior with a biblical understanding of human nature.
The program, developed for students at any point in their academic journey, will equip you with the tools to communicate more effectively with others, shape your biblical worldview, deepen your understanding of others and yourself, and cultivate practical skills such as critical thinking, writing, and interpersonal skills needed in the workplace. You will also be prepared to elevate your education through graduate studies and to minister in real-world situations that will influence the lives of individuals within your local church, workplace and community.
Students who are interested in an on-campus learning experience may consider the B.A. in Psychology degree.
Yes! Tell Me More!
Why Choose Applied Psychology at Biola?
Rosemead School of Psychology is a top psychology school for Christians who want to integrate their faith with their calling and career. As a student of the online B.S. in Applied Psychology program, you will:
- Find purpose and meaning in helping others. You will be equipped to understand and work with others to help them reach their full potential and improve their quality of life.
- Learn more about others and yourself. As you study psychology, you will learn how to communicate more effectively with others and understand underlying feelings, motivations and behaviors. Learning these principles is important for your overall mental health and will also develop and deepen your empathy for others.
- Receive faith integrated instruction from expert faculty. Your biblical worldview will be shaped as you complete a biblical studies minor and are taught by engaged, committed scholars who have published widely on the subject of how psychology and Christian faith work together to advance healing and human flourishing.
- Gain practical preparation. In addition to acquiring a greater capacity for empathy, emotional intelligence and cultural humility, you will also develop other needed skills for the workplace, including critical thinking, interpersonal communication and writing and presentation skills.
- Be prepared to elevate your education. Our program is designed to satisfy the prerequisites for most graduate programs including marriage and family therapy, professional counseling, school counseling and clinical psychology. Graduates of our program have also pursued graduate degrees in education, social work, gerontology and pastoral counseling, among others.
- Receive personalized coaching. You will be connected to a success coach and program faculty who will provide guidance and invest in you spiritually, relationally and professionally from day one.
- Tailor your education to fit your schedule. Biola’s fully online, asynchronous, 7-week courses gives you the flexibility to complete your degree in as little as 24 months from nearly anywhere in the world. This online, year-round format allows you to watch lectures, participate in discussions and complete coursework according to your schedule.
What Will I Study?
The applied psychology program offers coursework emphasizing psychosocial development, integration, research, and foundational theories of psychological study. Some additional topics and course highlights include:
- Psychology and Christian thought
- Marriage and family life
- Psychological health and wellness
- Counseling techniques
- Psychology in the workplace
Bible and Theology Coursework
As part of Biola’s commitment to a biblically centered education, all undergraduate students have the opportunity to take 30 credits of biblical studies. As an Applied Psychology student, 12 of these credits will be integrated directly into your psychology courses, with the remaining 18 offered through separate Bible and theology courses.
The flexibility of Biola's applied psychology program allowed me to complete my degree while working and doing ministry. I am so grateful for the faculty's concern of my educational goals and spiritual well-being along the way.
Biola's applied psychology major serves as an excellent foundation for a wide array of career options. You can combine your education with your particular interests, skills, values and personality preferences, and gain practical experience through internships, part-time jobs or volunteering. As a well-equipped professional, you can expect to impact the world for Jesus Christ in professions such as:
- Human resource specialist
- Case manager
- Social and community service manager
- Career counselor
- Substance abuse and behavioral disorder counselor
- Applied behavioral analyst
- Probation officer/correctional treatment specialist
- Prepares you for graduate work in psychology, counseling, or marriage and family therapy