B.S. in Applied Psychology
At its core, applied psychology is about understanding how people think, act and relate. We believe that a Christian worldview is an essential part of this understanding. That's why the fully online Bachelor of Science in Applied Psychology integrates the scientific, research-driven study of human behavior with a biblical understanding of human nature.
Designed for students at any point in their academic journey, the fully online applied psychology program prepares you for graduate school, and to minister within real world situations to influence the lives of individuals within the local church, in the workplace and throughout your community.
If you are interested in an on-campus learning experience, consider the B.A. in Psychology degree.
Yes! Tell Me More!
Why Choose Applied Psychology at Biola?
Biola’s fully online, asynchronous, 7-week courses will give you the flexibility to complete your bachelor’s degree from nearly anywhere in the world. This means you can watch your lectures, participate in discussions and complete your coursework according to your schedule.
Biola’s applied psychology major offers several key advantages:
- You will be able to complete your degree in as little as 24 months (the number of credits you transfer in, and the number of credits you take each term will affect your total time in the program).
- The program offers accelerated, asynchronous 7-week courses taught completely online, giving you the freedom to fit your classes into your busy life.
- You will have access to a personal success coach during your time at Biola University, who will help you navigate your way from acceptance to graduation.
- Applied psychology professors are all professionals with real world experience, who know how to integrate the scientific, research-driven study of psychology with a biblical understanding of human nature.
- Your courses are taught from a biblical worldview, integrating Christianity and psychology where God’s Word is authoritative.
- Your applied psychology degree will come from Biola University, consistently ranked a "best national university" from U.S. News and World Report's Best Colleges rankings.
What Will I Study?
The applied psychology program offers coursework emphasizing psychosocial development, integration, research, and foundational theories of psychological study. Some additional topics and course highlights include:
- Psychology and Christian thought
- Marriage and family life
- Psychological health and wellness
- Counseling techniques
- Psychology in the workplace
Bible and Theology Coursework
As part of Biola’s commitment to a biblically centered education, all undergraduate students have the opportunity to take 30 credits of biblical studies. As an Applied Psychology student, 12 of these credits will be integrated directly into your psychology courses, with the remaining 18 offered through separate Bible and theology courses.
The flexibility of Biola's applied psychology program allowed me to complete my degree while working and doing ministry. I am so grateful for the faculty's concern of my educational goals and spiritual well-being along the way.
Biola's applied psychology major serves as an excellent foundation for a wide array of career options. You can combine your education with your particular interests, skills, values and personality preferences, and gain practical experience through internships, part-time jobs or volunteering. As a well-equipped professional, you can expect to impact the world for Jesus Christ in professions such as:
- Human resource specialist
- Case manager
- Social and community service manager
- Career counselor
- Substance abuse and behavioral disorder counselor
- Applied behavioral analyst
- Probation officer/correctional treatment specialist
- Prepares you for graduate work in psychology, counseling, or marriage and family therapy