B.S. in Computer Science
Technology is transforming our world — including how we do business, how we communicate and what we do for entertainment. In this quickly changing landscape, opportunities abound for people with advanced technological skills. Through Biola’s computer science major, you’ll develop knowledge and hone your ability to innovate, program, solve problems and succeed across a range of careers.
Yes! Tell Me More!
- Information Systems
The information systems prepares students to apply computer science knowledge in business contexts, offering training in such areas as accounting, organizational behavior, database management and microeconomics.
- Standard Computer Science
The standard computer science concentration prepares students for expertise in computing, offering extensive training in algorithms, calculus, linear algebra, and topics such as artificial intelligence and computer graphics.
Why Choose Computer Science at Biola?
In addition to its strong curriculum and biblical integration, Biola’s computer science program offers several key advantages:
- Small class sizes give you an opportunity to interact with your professors, who have extensive experience in teaching, research and publishing.
- Biola’s program follows the guidelines recommended by the IEEE Computer Society and Association for Computing Machinery, ensuring that you receive a strong academic foundation.
- Graduates report feeling well prepared for computer science-related careers, which are among the best-paid, highest-satisfaction and fastest-growing occupations.
- Biola’s location in Southern California — one of the world’s largest and most diverse metropolitan areas — is ideal for internships and job opportunities.
- Biola’s Research Assistant in Math Program (RAMP) offers a research environment where Biola math and computer science majors are supported in research projects that complement their academic goals. Research assistants through RAMP are paid to assist faculty with research.
What Will I Study?
The computer science major offers expert training in computation and information processing strategies. By providing both a traditional computer science track and an information system track that emphasizes bridging computers and business management, you will be equipped with essential knowledge and skills. Course topics and highlights include:
- Organization and structure of programming languages
- User interface design, implementation and evaluation
- Data structures
- Theory of algorithms
- Artificial intelligence
- Systems programming
- Memory and database management
The small class size gives us the adequate attention we need as we continue to seek further knowledge as students. The professors here are able to guide us and show us how God can use our career choice to further His kingdom.
The computer science degree will provide you exceptional general preparation for careers in the high demand science, business and computer communities. As a well-equipped professional, you can expect to impact the world for Jesus Christ in professions such as:
- Chief information officer
- Computer programmer
- IT data or security architect
- Software applications developer
- Market research analyst
- Web developer
- Business intelligence architect
- Computer systems engineer
- Director of IT services
What are Graduates Doing Now?
Biola's computer science graduates have gone on to use their computer expertise in major international companies, Hollywood and missions to impact the world for Jesus. Professional highlights include:
- Scientific and Technical Achievement Academy Award winner
- Software Developer, Sony Pictures Imageworks
- Engineering Manager, Riot Games
- Integration Engineer, Apple and Panasonic
- Software Engineer, Liferay, Inc.
- Software Development Engineer, Amazon
- Systems Engineer, Cisco
- Director, Application Services
- Technology Missionary, Papua New Guinea
- Music Video Producers
- Network Engineers