B.A. in Biblical and Theological Studies
As Christians, the Bible is central to our lives. But to get the most out of God’s Word, we must read it in its historical, cultural and literary contexts, informed along the way by how Christian thought has developed throughout history. Through Biola’s biblical and theological studies major, you’ll develop the tools you need to more effectively study Scripture and theology — whether your plans involve teaching, church ministry or seminary.
- General Biblical and Theological Studies
The general biblical and theological studies track allows you to select from a wide range of upper-division electives, customized to your interests and goals for graduate school or ministry.
- Preaching and Pastoral Ministry
The preaching and pastoral ministry concentration is a unique program designed to equip students for leadership and preaching in church or parachurch settings. This specialized concentration allows students to begin taking graduate courses in the senior year, in order to complete an accelerated bachelor's degree and master's degree in preaching and pastoral ministry — typically in a total of just five years. Entry into the concentration requires a special application to the biblical and theological studies department at the end of the freshman or sophomore year. Visit the catalog for application instructions.
Why Choose Biblical and Theological Studies at Biola?
In addition to its strong curriculum and expert faculty members, Biola’s biblical and theological studies program offers several key advantages:
- The program is housed within Biola’s Talbot School of Theology, one of the nation’s leading seminaries.
- The flexibility of electives allows you to design a program that’s custom-fit to your specific academic or ministry objectives.
- Biola ranks first overall on The Best Schools’ list of “25 Best Schools for Studying the Bible.”
5-Year B.A. + M.A. in Preaching and Pastoral Ministry Program
The preaching and pastoral ministry concentration gives you the option of starting a Master of Arts in Preaching and Pastoral Ministry during your senior year — allowing you to earn a B.A. and M.A. together in just five years.
What Will I Study?
Throughout the biblical and theological studies program, you will learn to interpret, understand and respond to the Word of God — and grow in the skills and spiritual maturity needed to teach others. The flexibility of electives within this major will enable you to design a program in line with your ministry objectives. Some of the course highlights and topics you will learn about include:
- Foundational Old and New Testament knowledge
- Systematic and historical theology
- Methods of writing
- Critical thinking and persuasion
- Principles for interpreting Scripture
- Paul's theology and worldview
- History and culture of the New Testament
- Evangelism and missions of the early church
- Biblical doctrines of salvation and the Holy Spirit
One reason why the biblical studies department excels is because the professors teach with passion, care for their students, and always give glory to God.
... It was the integration of a biblical worldview with day-to-day life that had the most profound impact. It is easy to teach information, to teach theology, exegesis, although they it can be a very technical task; it is much harder to model life after these teachings.
Biblical and Theological Studies, B.A. '10
I came to Biola with ambitions for my own accomplishments. But I left Biola with a heart for people and a desire to see lives changed.
Biblical and Theological Studies, B.A. '14
Many career opportunities in Christian and public service await future graduates of Biola's biblical studies program. As a well-equipped believer, you can expect to impact the world for Jesus Christ in professions such as:
- Youth pastor
- Children's ministry director
- Church administrator
- Prison or military chaplain
- Guidance or mental health counselor
- Social worker
What are Graduates Doing Now?
Graduates from Biola's biblical studies major have gone on to study at well-respected graduate schools and seminaries such as:
- Talbot School of Theology
- Denver Seminary
- Dallas Theological Seminary
- Trinity Evangelical Divinity School