B.A. in Public Relations
Organizations are increasingly relying on public relations experts to provide strategic communications to their audiences — whether through social media, websites, publications, community outreach or the news media. In Biola’s public relations major, you’ll develop valuable skills in market research, writing and visual design, and gain hands-on experience needed to enter one of the fastest-growing fields for college graduates.
- Agency and Corporate PR
- Entertainment and Events PR
- Media Relations
- Nonprofit and Ministry PR
Why Choose Public Relations at Biola?
In addition to its strong curriculum, expert faculty members and biblical integration, Biola’s public relations program offers several key advantages:
- Biola’s Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) chapter was recognized as a “Star Chapter” in 2013 by PRSSA National, a distinction given to less than 10 percent of PRSSA chapters.
- 6th Street PR, Biola’s student-run PR agency, is nationally affiliated through PRSSA, meaning it is considered one of the “most accomplished and successful student-run firms.”
- Public relations students have the opportunity to work on real-world campaigns with clients and build professional portfolios.
- Biola’s production center offers a conference room for brainstorming and pitching to clients, technology for creating pieces for clients, and an equipment room with more than 1,000 items for rent, including cameras, microphones and other equipment.
- Biola’s location on the border of Los Angeles and Orange counties is rich with opportunities to launch into the world of public relations. Internationally known organizations and nonprofits are just a short drive away.
What Will I Study?
Public Relations is all about relationships. As a student in Biola's program, you will learn how to create, build and maintain relationships with people on behalf of organizations. You'll learn everything from how to create a strategic PR campaign, to the logistics of developing competitive digital strategies, to the realities of working with local, national and global media organizations. This is all done through the lens of a biblical worldview, informing our perspectives of the value of communication, relationships and people. We believe working in public relations is a sacred calling. Course topics and highlights include:
- The nature and process of public relations
- How to capture photos with digital photographic equipment
- Writing for public relations using media, print and electronics
- Digital approaches to publishing
- Student created print material and web products
- Theoretical approaches to the First Amendment
- Creating a public relations plan for a client
- Analyzing public relation case studies
- Examining your personal philosophy of PR
Learning from passionate professors who have remained relevant in the rapidly growing industry, the public relations program teaches students fundamental knowledge and equips us professionally and spiritually to impact the world for Christ.
Many career possibilities in areas like international affairs, government, advertising and non-profit organizations await future graduates of Biola's public relations program.You can expect to transform the world for Jesus Christ through your life and calling in professions such as:
- Political campaign manager
- Director of marketing
- Social media manager
- Public relations specialist
- Human resource director
- Director of fundraising
- Production communication professional
- Corporate event planner
- Financial public relations expert