B.S. in Kinesiology
Our bodies are intricately designed. The way we steward them — with exercise, nutrition and medical care — can have profound effects on our physical, emotional and spiritual health. In Biola’s kinesiology major, you’ll receive specialized training in human movement and athletic performance, preparing you to be a competent and caring Christian professional in such fields as teaching, exercise science and allied health care.
- Exercise Science and Health Promotion
The concentration in exercise science and health promotion is ideal for students who wish to work in health and fitness, wellness promotion or strength and conditioning, and serves as preparation for graduate study in exercise physiology, athletic training and other kinesiology-related disciplines.
- Pre-Physical Therapy
The pre-physical therapy concentration is for students who plan to pursue a graduate degree (master’s or doctoral) in physical therapy, occupational therapy or other programs in allied or sports health care. Biola's program is designed to meet the prerequisite needs of most graduate programs nationwide.
Why Choose Kinesiology at Biola?
In addition to its strong curriculum, expert faculty members and biblical integration, Biola’s kinesiology program offers several key advantages:
- Biola’s location in Southern California — one of the world’s largest and most diverse metropolitan areas — is ideal for internships and job opportunities.
- The university is home to top-notch athletics facilities, including a newly remodeled fitness center and athletic training room where students can put their education into action.
- Small classes give you an opportunity to form deep relationships with your professors and fellow students.
- Biola’s Health Careers Club educates, supports and builds community among all the pre-health career students on campus through guest speakers and other events.
What Will I Study?
As a kinesiology major, you will learn about God's design for the human body, movement and performance. Focus throughout the program will be on the value of physical activity and of promoting healthy lifestyles. Career-relevant course topics and highlights include:
- Basic structure and function of the human body
- Human systems analysis lab
- Human movement and mechanical principals
- Physiological concepts of muscular exercise
- Field experience in kinesiology and physical education testing
- Psychological rehabilitation strategies
- Motor learning from a behavioral perspective
- Scientific treatment of applied nutritional principles
- Achieving organizational leadership effectiveness
Being a part of this major, I am able to minister to hearts as I also minister to bodies. Biola has fostered a place of growth in science and faith as I seek to glorify God in everything I do.
The kinesiology degree provides exceptional preparation for careers in fields such as physical therapy, teaching, exercise science and allied health care. As a well-equipped professional, you can expect to impact the world for Jesus Christ in professions such as:
- Medical doctor
- Exercise physiologist
- Sports psychologist
- Physical therapist
- Occupational therapist
- Fitness instructor or athletic trainer
- Strength and conditioning coach
- Professor of kinesiology
- Personal trainer
For more information on careers in the health care field, please visit our Heath Science Careers website.
What are Graduates Doing Now?
A number of Biola kinesiology majors pursue graduate studies, while God moves others directly into a variety of professional positions. Highlights include:
- Exercise Physiologist
- Physical Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Athletic Trainer
- Strength and Conditioning Coach
- Health Educator
- Personal Trainer
- Graduate studies at prestigious schools such as: University of Saint Augustine; University of Southern California; Chapman University; California State University, Fullerton; California State University, Long Beach; and California State University, Northridge
Kinesiology, Health and Physical Education
New State-of-the-Art Center for Students
The Alton and Lydia Lim Center for Science, Technology and Health will offer students innovative laboratories, cutting edge equipment and research opportunities.