B.S. in Human Biology
Biola's human biology degree focuses on the scientific understanding and specific workings of God's most complex design — the human body. Our program provides rigorous coursework, hands-on-training in well-equipped laboratories and a rich independent research experience from a Christian worldview. As a Biola human biology graduate, you can be confident that our expert pre-med committee and health profession advisors have provided the knowledge base and skills you'll need to successfully enter graduate studies and the world of health care professionals.
The pre-chiropractic concentration is offered in cooperation with the Southern California University of Health Sciences (SCU). Students attend Biola for three years taking courses in biology, chemistry, physics, biblical studies and the liberal arts. Upper-division biology courses are taken at Los Angeles College of Chiropractic, at SCU. Upon successful completion of the required courses, the student receives a B.S. degree with a major in human biology from Biola. Upon successful completion of the entire chiropractic program student receives the D.C. degree from the Southern California University of Health Sciences’ Los Angeles College of Chiropractic (LACC).
- Pre-Health Care Professional
The pre-health care professional concentration prepares students for further studies and training in health professions, particularly as a physician assistant or physical therapist.
Why Choose Human Biology at Biola?
In addition to its strong curriculum, expert faculty members and vigorous biblical integration of faith and science, Biola’s human biology program offers several key advantages:
- Small class sizes provide maximum interaction and faculty mentoring.
- Students get hands-on experience with modern scientific equipment in well-equipped chemistry and biology labs. Instruments include a high performance liquid chromatograph, an electron microscope, an X-ray diffractometer and a high-speed centrifuge.
- A pre-med committee and a health professions advisor who is an M.D. provide resources for taking qualifying exams like the MCA, mock interviews, tag-alongs with health professionals and general advice for applying to post graduate medical programs.
- Student groups like the Pre-med Club offer numerous opportunities for support and interaction.
- Biola's location in Southern California offers numerous opportunities for internships and research in hospital, clinical, industrial, government and other academic laboratories.
What Will I Study?
Biola's human biology courses will provide you an opportunity to gain a wide-range of knowledge that deals with the biological, psychological and chemical processes of human life. Your coursework will include human anatomy, human physiology and neurobiology, where the focus is specifically on what happens within the body. You can tailor your program through career-specific electives and choose to concentrate in either the pre-health professional or the pre-chiropractic program — the latter involves a partnership with Southern California University of Health Science. Course topics and learning highlights include:
- Introduction to principles of molecular biology and genetics
- Exploring the origins of theory, ecology and anatomy and physiology
- Biology field projects, dissection, and experimentation
- Experience in scientific writing
- Human systems analysis and electrophysiology lab
- Study of microbial organisms, emphasizing bacteria and viruses
- Laboratory techniques for isolation and purification of organic compounds
- Examine dietary deficiencies and disorders through food analysis lab and field trips
- Survey of empirical and behavioral sciences from a Christian worldview, including human development, cognition, learning and personality
The integration of my faith and education brings my overall experience to a whole new level. As I learn more about how the human body functions, I'm also growing in my understanding of God.
The human biology degree provides an exceptional general medical foundation that will prepare you for graduate studies and for careers in fields such as medicine, health or exercise science, research, education and ministry. As a well-equipped professional, you can expect to impact the world for Jesus Christ in professions such as:
- Physical or occupational therapist
- Athletic trainer
- Missionary doctor
- Corporate fitness professional
For more information on careers in the health care field, please visit our Heath Science Careers website.
What are Graduates Doing Now?
Biola graduates from the human biology major have gone on to study at distinguished graduate schools such as:
- University of Southern California
- Loma Linda University
- University of the Pacific
- Southern California University of the Health Sciences