Faculty | B.S. in Chemistry
- Assistant Professor
- Postdoctoral Scholar, University of California, Irvine, CA
- Ph.D., Organic Chemistry, University of California Los Angeles
- B.S., Science, Chemistry Major Program, The University of British Columbia
Jonah Chang’s teaching interests are in the area of chemistry; specifically in organic chemistry and biochemistry. He teaches a variety of courses to chemistry and biochemistry majors including General Chemistry I, Organic Chemistry I, Advanced Organic Chemistry and Laboratory, Biochemistry II, and Laboratory in Biochemistry. Recently, he has designed a project-based learning module in Advanced...
- CHEM 105 and CHEM 106 General Chemistry I and II and Laboratory
- CHEM 311 Lab in Organic Chemistry
- CHEM 332 Environmental Chemistry and Laboratory
- CHEM 360 Inorganic Chemistry
- CHEM 413 Laboratory in Biochemistry
- CHEM 430 Advanced Organic Chemistry and Laboratory
- Professor of Physics
- Ph.D., Physics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- M.S., Solid State Physics, Institute of Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- B.S., Theoretical Physics, Shandong University
My love for physics was kindled by a high school physics teacher in China, where I was born and raised. I came to the United States to further my graduate studies in solid state physics. It was during my second semester at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign that I became a Christian. As a professor, I desire to inspire students to love the beauty of physics and to challenge them to understand and think about the underlying order and structure in God's world. As a researcher, I use high resolution microscopy techniques and numerical methods to look at order in various materials, which in turn makes me more effective in my teaching.
- PHSC 233 General Physics II Electricity and Magentism
- PHSC 237 General Physics II Laboratory
- PHSC 234 General Physics II Waves, Optics and Modern Physics
- PHSC 318 Classical Mechanics
- PHSC 331 Thermodynamics
- PHSC 336 Mathematical Methods in Physics
- PHSC 340 Electrodynamics
- PHSC 412 Introduction to Quantum Mechanics
- PHSC 480 Advanced Physics Laboratory
- Theoretical understanding of surface dynamics.
- Atomic force microscopy studies of cell structures.
- Monte Carlo simulation studies of surfaces and interfaces.
- Fluctuation electron microscopy studies of medium-range ordering in amorphous materials.
Dana E. Johnson
- Assistant Professor of Chemistry
- Ph.D., Colorado State University
- M.A., Biola University
- B.S., California State University, Long Beach
I was among the first graduates of the Master’s in Science and Religion program here at Biola, coming back to teach organic chemistry after earning a doctorate in the field. I love teaching, especially informally in small groups in my office.
- Organic Chemistry I and II
- Advanced Organic Chemistry
- Basic Organic and Biochemistry
- Assistant Professor, CPE
- B.S. Chemistry UC Berkeley
- Ph.D. Chemistry, Virginia Tech, analytical, physical and atmospheric chemistry
Jessica Lu’s teaching interests are in the areas of analytical, physical, and environmental chemistry. She teaches in the undergraduate B.S. program in Chemistry. Her courses include Analytical Chemistry lecture and lab, where students learn how to detect and quantify chemicals in laboratory and real-world samples, and Physical Chemistry, where students study the underlying physical principles...
- CHEM 350 Analytical Chemistry
- CHEM 105 and CHEM 106 General Chemistry I and II
- CHEM 332 Environmental Chemistry
- CHEM 380 Intro to Physical Chemistry
- Earth Science
- Adjunct, CPE