Master of Public Health
Become an ethical leader in public health through the Master of Public Health (MPH) program at Biola University. The MPH program is offered fully online with two concentrations — global health and epidemiology.
With an MPH being the most widely recognized professional credential for leadership in public health, you'll be equipped for a career in health education, global health, environmental health, epidemiology and health services administration in both private organizations and government health departments.
As an MPH student at Biola, you'll apply the concepts and theories learned in the classroom to real-life health situations working with field preceptors and public health faculty advisors. You'll also be mentored by our experienced and caring faculty members, while building your professional network through internship opportunities in various communities and countries. Biola's Master of Public Health program will prepare you with integrative experiences, community-based practicums and clinically oriented research opportunities to become a well-rounded public health agent of change.
Yes! Tell Me More!
- EpidemiologyEpidemiology is the study of the distribution and determinants of disease and injuries, and other health states in human populations. As the fundamental science of public health practice, students learn the skills needed to address public health problems. This concentration will prepare students to work in public health services as practitioners, researchers, administrators and consultants.
- Global HealthGlobal health is the study of health of populations in the global context. It is defined as the area of study, research and practice that prioritizes promoting health and achieving equity in health for all people worldwide. This concentration will prepare students to work in public health services as health educators, health specialists and researchers.
Why Choose MPH at Biola?
Biola's public health master's program offers several key advantages:
- Public health integrated with biblical perspective. Students will be taught from a Christian worldview in order to be compassionate agents of change, ethical decision-makers, health educators and champions of health equality.
- Strong foundation. Students will receive rigorous instruction in all aspects of public health theory and practice in order to develop the skills needed to be life-long learners. In addition, students will integrate their education and practical experiences to effectively address public health challenges through research, publication, health promotion and service.
- Practical, hands-on preparation. Students will be prepared for impactful service as health professionals with diverse field and research experiences, and work closely with public health faculty, field preceptors and community partners.
- Flexible and accessible. The online format, with most classes lasting 7 weeks, will allow for flexibility for full-time professionals, and be accessible to students from any region of the U.S. or the world to receive an advanced public health degree.
What Will I Study?
The MPH offers coursework in the five core areas of public health knowledge, which include 1) improving access to healthcare, 2) controlling infectious disease, 3) organizing community-based health initiatives, 4) promoting health screening and preventative measures among populations, and 5) playing a critical role in preparing for emergencies. Elective course topics and learning highlights include:
- Current Issues in Global Health
- Global Health Ethics and Human Rights
- Integration of Global Health and Missions
- Community Health Assessment, Planning and Evaluation
- Outbreak and Emergency Preparedness
- Public Health Policy and Practice
The MPH program prepares students for a broad range of public health careers as the demand for healthcare needs of populations steadily increases. Common career paths include:
Global Health Track
- Global Health Educator
- Public Health Advisor
- Nonprofit Coordinator
- International Project Manager
- Clinical Research Associate
- Global Infectious Disease Analyst
- Academic Research Epidemiologist
- Infection Control Epidemiologist
- Field Epidemiologist
- Epidemiology Investigator
- Medical Epidemiologist
- Clinical Trial Researcher
- Molecular Epidemiologist
The combination of competitive education and Christian development is unique to Biola and couldn't have imagined a better place to be trained before entering medical school!
Master of Public Health (MPH) '23