Skip to main content

Forms and FAQs

Explore our additional admissions forms and frequently asked questions covering areas such as admissions, degree program details and financial aid.

Frequently Asked Questions


How long will my program take?

An advisor can help you chart out a timeline that works for you. Generally, our credential programs take 1.5–2 years, while the master’s programs take 2–3 years. The length of your program depends entirely on how many credits you take each semester.

Can Biola offer me a CSET waiver?

Biola University may only issue subject matter waivers for degrees completed at Biola for programs pre-approved by the California Commission for Teacher Credentialing (CCTC).

I'd like to apply for the master’s or credential program, but my bachelor's degree is from outside of the United States. Is it still valid?

An internationally obtained four-year degree must be evaluated by an approved foreign evaluation agency to determine whether your degree is approved within the United States. Please see this leaflet for approved Foreign Transcript Evaluations.

I am a substitute teacher. Can any of my hours count for fieldwork or student teaching?

If you are teaching or substituting full time in a classroom, your professor will reduce your fieldwork hours for certain courses. See your specific program's "Program Requirements" page for more details.

If I have already been accepted to Biola's graduate teaching credential program, I am assuming this means I can complete the program. So why am I applying to student teach?

Student teaching has prerequisite requirements. Therefore, an application and faculty interview is required to confirm your readiness and to receive your departmental approval to student teach.

Why do I have to take another graduate theology course when my district will not honor the credits on the pay scale?

The theology requirement is a Biola University graduate program standard established by the Graduate Studies Committee and the Provost. It reflects our strong commitment to integrate educational principles with biblical teaching. Additionally, some districts will count the credits on the pay scale.

I graduated from Biola's undergraduate program and am transitioning into the graduate education program. Why can't I pre-register for classes for next semester?

You’re not able to automatically pre-register for classes as a graduate of a Biola undergraduate program because you must first re-apply at the graduate level (because you are essentially beginning a new program). The graduate program has additional requirements, and the application process serves as a checkpoint on these requirements. If you have already been accepted to Biola’s education program as an undergraduate student, please contact the School of Education for a transitioning application to the graduate education programs.

Can I transfer in a course to Biola with a "C" grade?

No, you cannot transfer in courses with “C” letter grades. The School of Education requires that students maintain a 3.0 GPA for graduation, which is the equivalent of a “B” letter grade; therefore all coursework being transferred in from another college or university must have been completed with the 3.0 minimum requirement.

Do extension courses transfer into the M.A.Ed. program?

The Office of the Registrar only recognizes courses that count toward a student’s degree. Therefore, most extension courses do not count toward a master’s degree. However, they may waive some credential and certificate requirements. Have a Biola credential analyst answer specific questions related to coursework. Call (562) 903-4843.

If I first apply only for the graduate teaching credential, how and when do I change to the master’s program? Is there a separate application?

If you meet the master’s program requirements, a change of program form must be submitted to the School of Education. You will be notified if your request to change into a master’s and credential program is accepted or denied.

Regarding the pastoral reference to get into the program: What if I belong to a large church and do not personally know the pastor? Is there anyone else who can provide the reference?

A spiritual leader in your church who knows you personally would be permissible (e.g. deacon, deaconess, elder, small group leader, etc.), but this reference is necessary for admission. The pastor's reference must come from the church that you have been currently involved with for the past year.

What if I have not been involved in a church?

Biola's distinctive as a Christian university is that all of our students are professing Christians who regularly participate in the body of Christ through fellowship with their local church. If you're not currently attending a church, we encourage you to connect with your Graduate Admissions counselor to discuss your options.

Degree Programs

How do I meet the U.S. Constitution requirement? Is this a class or an exam? Where can I take it?

The U.S. Constitution requirement is met by completion of an approved course, passage of a U.S. constitution exam, or a B.A./B.S. CSU degree. See program requirements for multiple subject or single subject credential programs.

Why do I have to take multiple subject pedagogy courses if I am also taking the CSET, which covers multiple subjects?

The CSET exam meets the state subject matter competency requirement. However, the multiple subject pedagogy courses integrate strategies and methodology with content.

What happens if I can't pass the CSET? Can I still student teach?

No, you must pass all sub-tests of the CSET prior to applying for student teaching.

Can my credential courses roll over into either master’s program?

Graduate-level Multiple Subject or Single Subject Credential courses can be applied to the MAT, Single Subject or Multiple Subject Credential programs. Some credential courses can be applied to the M.A.Ed., Single Subject or Multiple Subject Credential programs (see program requirements).

Graduate-level Special Education Credential courses can be applied to the MAT or M.A. Ed., Special Education programs; MAT or M.A.Ed., Special Education (Mild/Moderate) Credential program; or the M.S. in Special Education program. Induction/Clear Credential courses can be applied to the MAT or M.A.Ed., Induction/Clear Credential programs.

What is the farthest distance Biola supervisors would be willing to travel?

As long as we can support you in your student teaching with a supervisor who is a Biola employee, aligned with the spiritual values of the university, and have an agreement with your chosen school district, we will make every effort to accommodate you. These requests are handled on a case-by-case basis.

If I fail a course in the graduate education program, what are my options?

If you fail a course in the graduate education program, you need to retake the course and pass it in order to meet program requirements for graduation.

What happens if my GPA goes below 2.75 in the graduate credential program (or below 3.0 in the M.A.Ed. or M.A.T.)?

If your GPA drops below the required program GPA you will be placed on probationary status with a formal academic contract stating expectations for continuance in the program.