Online M.A. in P-12 Multilingual, Multicultural Education
The fully online Master of Arts in P-12 Multilingual, Multicultural Education degree gives you the skills you need to work with students and families in today’s diverse classrooms. Refine your own educational philosophy for multilingual and multicultural education while cultivating your intercultural competence to be an effective educator.
This graduate degree will equip you with best practices for teaching and working with P-12 multilingual, multicultural and immigrant students — and the ability to critically examine equitable educational practices from a biblical perspective.
Yes! Tell Me More!
- Bilingual Authorization – SpanishApproved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing, the bilingual authorization can be attached to any existing California credential. Candidates need to complete three courses at the graduate level with at least a grade of B- and demonstrate Spanish language proficiency as determined by the Biola Department of Modern Languages assessment and successful passage of CSET Subtest III – Spanish.
Note: The bilingual methodologies course will require a fieldwork component. Those taking the coursework without a California credential may apply for an institution-sponsored Certificate in Bilingual Education: Spanish Language, Culture and Methodology.
- Bilingualism and Biliteracy for Young LearnersThe Bilingualism and Biliteracy for Young Learners concentration provides a deep dive into literacy practices for dual language learners with an emphasis on listening, speaking, reading, and writing in multilingual contexts. Note: Bilingualism is not required.
- Language Acquisition: Assessment and LearningThe Language Acquisition concentration enhances your understanding of language acquisition and features strategies and research-based best practices for language assessment and academic vocabulary development in P-12 education. Note: Bilingualism is not required.
- PersonalizedFor experienced educators, the personalized concentration offers flexibility for cross-disciplinary studies and advanced coursework related to language, culture and diversity. Note: Bilingualism is not required.
Why Pursue a M.A. in P-12, Multicultural, Multilingual Education?
- Serve and support multilingual, multicultural and immigrant families. Develop your skills as a compassionate, equity-minded educator for multilingual, multicultural learners and their families. Qualified teachers with cultural competence are vital to effectively serve today’s global community.
- Be certified as a bilingual educator. Choosing the bilingual authorization concentration enables you to apply for a bilingual authorization at the state level — qualifying you as a highly desired bilingual educator in the P-12 education system.
- Integrate biblical wisdom into your classroom. Place your faith at the center of learning as a globally-minded educator who upholds a biblical worldview. Whether you teach in a multilingual classroom, develop curriculum or design community programs for a non-profit organization, broaden your opportunities for meaningful service.
- Fit your coursework into your busy schedule. The fully online, asynchronous format of the program provides flexibility for working professionals, while still maintaining Biola’s standards of academic excellence and mentorship from experienced, multicultural educators.
Explore different ways you can expand your education by viewing our Learning Opportunities page.
What Will I Study?
Your M.A. in P-12 Multilingual, Multicultural Education combines advanced core coursework in multicultural education with biblical integration courses and elected concentration courses. The program culminates in a capstone experience with your choice of action project or thesis. As part of the curriculum, you’ll have the opportunity to take such courses as the following:
- Multilingual and Immigrant Students and Families in School Communities
- Current Issues in Multilingual and Multicultural Education
- Latina/o diversity in the U.S. Context
- Culture and Christianity