Chemistry 120 Placement Exam
On This Page
- Majors Requiring Chemistry 120: Principles of Bio & Organic Chemistry
- Exam Opportunities
- Study Materials
- Things to Know
The following information is for incoming/new students only.
If you are a current student needing to take a chemistry placement exam, please contact the CPE Department at email@example.com.
Majors Requiring Chemistry 120: Principles of Bio & Organic Chemistry
The following majors are required to take CHEM 120: Principles of Bio & Organic Chemistry:
- Kinesiology Exercise Science and Health Promotion*
*Exercise Science and Health Promotion majors may take CHEM 105 or CHEM 120 for their required chemistry course.
If you are one of the two above majors, you will need to meet the prerequisite before you will be able to enroll in CHEM 120. The prerequisite can be met by passing a placement exam.
Orientation (January 9): You may take the CHEM 120 placement exam on campus at Biola during Orientation. The exam is scheduled for Thursday, January 9, 9–10:30 a.m. in LIM 351. Pre-registration is preferred; please fill out the registration form. Exam scores will be emailed to you by 5 p.m. on Thursday.
Note: If you do not pass a placement exam or online tutorial, you are required to take CHEM 107: Introduction to Chemistry (a semester-long course).
Things to Know
- You will be allowed to use a non-programmable calculator for this exam. We will have some you can borrow for on-campus exams.
- You will be allowed 90 minutes to complete the exam, it is multiple choice, and passing is 32 correct out of 50 questions.
- The exam will include a periodic element table for your use.
- You may take the placement exam a total of 2 times.
- Taking the online chemistry tutorial course does not count as an exam attempt, but will take the place of passing an exam.
- You may not take the online chemistry placement exam, if you took the exam at the Science, Technology and Health Advising Day event, however, you may take the exam again at orientation.
- The Exercise Science and Health Promotion major requires PHSC 111 Physics I. Be prepared to take your physics exam at the Science, Technology and Health Advising Day or during orientation.
Learn About the Physics Exam
Email the Chemistry, Physics and Engineering Department any questions you may have, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to use your Biola email address!