Chemistry 105 Placement Exam
On This Page
- Majors Requiring Chemistry 105: General Chemistry I
- Exam Opportunities
- Study Materials
- Things to Know
The following information is for incoming/new students only.
If you are a current student needing to take a chemistry placement exam, please contact the CPE Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Majors Requiring Chemistry 105: General Chemistry I
The following majors are required to take CHEM 105: General Chemistry I:
- Applied Physics
- Biological Science
- Engineering Physics
- Human Biology
- Kinesiology Exercise Science
- Kinesiology Health and Human Performance
- Physical Science
- Public Health
*Health and Human Performance majors may take CHEM 105 or CHEM 120 for their required chemistry course.
If you are one of the above majors, you will need to meet the prerequisite before you will be able to enroll in CHEM 105. The prerequisite can be met by passing a placement exam or passing the online tutorial in one of the following ways:
- Science, Technology, and Health Advising Day (May 15 or May 16): Attend the Science, Technology, and Health Advising Day, May 15 or May 16 and take the CHEM 105 placement exam at that time. Register for this event.
- Online placement exam (June 1 - July 1): If you cannot attend one of the Science, Technology, and Health Advising Day, you may take the online placement exam from June 1 to July 1. Register for an online exam.
- Online Chemistry Tutorial (June 1 - July 1): You may take a $60 online non-credit course, “Online Chemistry Tutorial” over the summer. If you pass this course, you will receive a course refund and will be able to enroll in CHEM 105. For more information, visit the tutorial store. The tutorial will be open for enrollment June 1 to July 1.
- Smart Start Program. CHEM 107: Introduction to Chemistry is available as an online 8-week class through Biola’s Smart Start program during session B, July 6–August 22, 2020. For more information and to register for the class, please visit the Smart Start program website. Note: this online course has limited seat capacity and requires a proctored final exam.
- A minimum grade of "B-" is required to subsequently register in CHEM 105, or a minimum grade of "C" for CHEM 120.
- Orientation (August 27): You may take the CHEM 105 placement exam on campus at Biola during Orientation. The exam is scheduled for Thursday, August 27, 9 a.m.–10:30 a.m. in BUSN 103. Pre-registration is preferred (link to formstack from last year). Exam scores will be posted in the CPE Dept office lobby, Friday, August 28 at 10 a.m.
Note: If you do not pass a placement exam or online tutorial, you are required to take CHEM 107: Introduction to Chemistry (a semester-long course).
Things to Know
- You will not be allowed to use a calculator for this exam.
- You will be allowed 90 minutes to complete the exam, it is multiple choice, and passing is 32 correct out of 44 questions.
- The exam will include a periodic element table for your use.
- You may take the placement exam a total of 2 times.
- Taking the online chemistry tutorial course does not count as an exam attempt, but will take the place of passing an exam
- You may not take the online chemistry placement exam, if you took the exam at the Science, Technology, and Health Advising Day event, however, you may take the exam again at orientation.
Email the Chemistry, Physics and Engineering Department any questions you may have, at email@example.com. Be sure to use your Biola email address!