Majors Requiring CHEM 105
The following majors are required to take CHEM 105 — General Chemistry I.
- Allied Health
- Applied Physics
- Biological Science
- Engineering Physics
- Health Sciences
- Kinesiology Exercise Science
- Kinesiology Health and Human Performance
- Physical Science
- Public Health Pre-Health Professions
*Please note that Allied Health and Human Performance majors may take CHEM 105 or CHEM 120 for their chemistry requirement.
Placement Options for CHEM 105 — General Chemistry I
There are four ways to test into CHEM 105: General Chemistry I. Complete the form below and the Chemistry, Physics, Engineering (CPE) department will send placement instructions to you based on your chosen path.
- Path 1: Verified AP Chemistry exam score of 3 or higher
- Path 2: Verified AP Calculus exam score of 3 or higher or Equivalent college-level Calculus course (with passing or transferable grade)
- Path 3: Take the ALEKS “Preparation for Chemistry” online module. This is the most common path to place into chemistry. The tool tests for individualized knowledge and uses adaptive learning software to fill the gaps. This is a not-for-credit course and is free for Biola students. Register by July 15, 2023 and finish by August 15, 2023. A passing score of 85% or higher on the “Post-Module Assessment Test” is required to be eligible for CHEM 105.
- Path 4: Completion of CHEM 107: Introduction to Chemistry or equivalent transfer course with a C- or higher grade. Students may opt to take this prep course during their first year or transfer in CHEM 107.
Once you successfully finish a path, the CPE department will provide your scores to your academic advisor in the Advising Center so they can register you into CHEM 105 (incoming students) or will give you instructions for adding the course (continuing students).
Incoming Students are highly encouraged to register for their chemistry placement path before June 1 in order to receive the most accurate class schedule.
Students who admit to the university after August 15 will be able to complete their chemistry placement through one of the paths listed above. If ALEKS is completed after August 15, the student should contact the Chemistry, Physics and Engineering department (CPEdept@biola.edu) immediately upon reaching 100% completion in order to add the course before August 29, 2023 (first day of class).
Continuing Students are highly encouraged to register for their chemistry placement path 3-4 weeks prior to class registration in order to ensure access to the course when class registration opens (November and March).
How to Register for CHEM 105 — General Chemistry I
Incoming students are registered into their first semester courses by the Advising Center. If you finish a placement path before July 5, you will see the course reflected on your first-semester class schedule. If you complete the placement after July 5 (including receiving AP scores or CHEM 107 grades), your advisor will add you to CHEM 105 and email you once the course has been added to your schedule.
Once a current student completes one of the placement paths, the CPE department will verify your placement and email instructions to your @biola.edu email for how to register for CHEM 105.