Chemistry Placement Options
On This Page
- Majors Requiring Chemistry 105: General Chemistry I
- How to Enroll in CHEM 105 — General Chemistry I
- Placement Deadlines
Majors Requiring Chemistry 105: General Chemistry I
The following majors are required to take CHEM 105: General Chemistry I. Please note that Health and Human Performance majors may take CHEM 105 or CHEM 120 for their required chemistry course.
- Allied Health
- Applied Physics
- Biological Science
- Engineering Physics
- Health Sciences
- Kinesiology Exercise Science
- Kinesiology Health and Human Performance
- Physical Science
- Public Health Pre-Health Professions
How to Enroll in CHEM 105 — General Chemistry I
Students who plan to enroll in general chemistry at Biola have four possible ways to place into the first course — CHEM 105: General Chemistry I. Use the form below to indicate which path you intend to complete.
- Path 1: AP Chemistry exam score of 3 or higher
- Path 2: AP Calculus exam score of 3 or higher or Equivalent college-level Calculus course (with passing or transferable grade)
- Path 3: Take the ALEKS “Preparation for Chemistry” online module. This is a not-for-credit course and is free for incoming Biola students. Once 95% of the course is completed, you may register for CHEM 105. It is strongly recommended to finish by January 3, 2023.
- Path 4: Completion of CHEM 107: Introduction to Chemistry or equivalent transfer course with a B- or higher grade.
Placement for CHEM 105: General Chemistry I is due by Monday, August 15.
Students are highly encouraged to register for their chemistry placement option before June 1 in order to receive the most accurate class schedule.
After August 15
Students who admit to the university after August 15 will be able to complete their chemistry placement through one of the paths listed above, and will be given an online testing option during orientation weekend. If ALEKS is completed after August 15, the student should contact the Chemistry, Physics and Engineering department (CPEdept@biola.edu) immediately upon reaching 80% completion in order to add the course before August 29, 2022 (first day of class).
Email the Chemistry, Physics and Engineering Department any questions you may have, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to use your Biola email address!