Chemistry 105 Placement Exam
On This Page
- Majors Requiring Chemistry 105: General Chemistry I
- Exam Opportunities
- Study Materials
- Things to Know
The following information is for incoming/new students only.
If you are a current student needing to take a chemistry placement exam, please contact the CPE Department at email@example.com.
Majors Requiring Chemistry 105: General Chemistry I
The following majors are required to take CHEM 105: General Chemistry I:
- Applied Physics
- Biological Science
- Engineering Physics
- Human Biology
- Kinesiology Exercise Science and Health Promotion*
- Kinesiology Pre-Physical Therapy
- Physical Science
- Public Health
*Exercise Science and Health Promotion majors may take CHEM 105 or CHEM 120 for their required chemistry course.
If you are one of the above majors, you will need to meet the prerequisite before you will be able to enroll in CHEM 105. The prerequisite can be met by passing a placement exam or passing the online tutorial in one of the following ways:
- Science, Technology and Health Advising Day (May 17 or May 18): Attend the Science, Technology, and Health Advising Day, May 17 or May 18 and take the CHEM 105 placement exam at that time.
Register for STH Advising Day
- Online placement exam (June 10–July 20): If you cannot attend the Science, Technology, and Health Advising Day, you may take the online placement exam from June 10 to July 20. Note: This exam is no longer available.
- Online Chemistry Tutorial (June 10–July 20): You may take a $60 online non-credit course, “Online Chemistry Tutorial” over the summer. If you pass this course, you will receive a course refund and will be able to enroll in CHEM 105. For more information, visit the tutorial store (available starting June 10). The tutorial will be open for enrollment June 10 to July 20.
- Orientation (August 29): You may take the CHEM 105 placement exam on campus at Biola during Orientation. The exam is scheduled for Thursday, August 29, 8:30 a.m. in Business 103. Pre-registration is preferred; please fill out the registration form. Exam scores will be posted in the CPE department office lobby, Friday, August 30 at 10 a.m.
Register for an On-Campus Exam
Note: If you do not pass a placement exam or online tutorial, you are required to take CHEM 107: Introduction to Chemistry (a semester-long course).
- Chemistry Proficiency Self-Assessment
- Study Guide for Chemistry 105 Placement Exam
- Special exam prep/review session with Prof. Valerie Baggett
This is available to all students taking a chemistry placement exam at Orientation. Wednesday, August 28, 4:30-6 pm in LIM 247. No pre-registration is necessary.
Things to Know
- You will not be allowed to use a calculator for this exam.
- You will be allowed 90 minutes to complete the exam, it is multiple choice, and passing is 32 correct out of 44 questions.
- The exam will include a periodic element table for your use.
- You may take the placement exam a total of 2 times.
- Taking the online chemistry tutorial course does not count as an exam attempt, but will take the place of passing an exam
- You may not take the online chemistry placement exam if you took the exam at the Science, Technology, and Health Advising Day event. However, you may take the exam again at orientation.
- All majors requiring CHEM 105 General Chemistry I also require at least one physics course. Be prepared to take your physics exam at the Science and Health Advising Day or during orientation.
Learn About the Physics Exam
Email the Chemistry, Physics and Engineering Department any questions you may have, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to use your Biola email address!