LINK+ is a book request service and union catalog that allows students, staff and faculty of Biola University to borrow books unavailable at the Biola Library. This patron-initiated, online service allows you to borrow books from over 55 participating academic and public LINK+ libraries. Requested items are delivered via a courier service, so the delivery time is generally faster than traditional Interlibrary Loan services. Borrowers can monitor the status of their LINK+ requests by checking their library account online to see whether the request is in transit, canceled, or ready for pickup. Requests that are available for pickup may be checked out at the Circulation Desk in the library.
Borrowers may also request a three-week renewal on LINK+ materials. Please check your library account online to verify the status of the renewal request. If a copy of the book is available through the Biola University Library, the item may not be requested through LINK+.
How to Use LINK+
- Open the LINK+ Catalog.
- Search for a book you want.
- Once you have located the book you want, click on the link to see how many LINK+ libraries own the item. (If the book is showing available at Biola University, you may not request it using LINK+.)
- Click on "Request this Item."
- You will be asked "With which institution are you affiliated?" Select Biola University and click on "Submit above information."
- Enter your Name, Biola ID number, and password. If you do not have a password, you need to set up your Library Account first.
- Once your information has been submitted, a message will display as to the status of your request. If the message reads that your request was successful, your book will be available in two to four days.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who can use LINK+?Current Biola University students, staff and faculty may order books through LINK+. Entrance Pass or Courtesy Card holders, including alumni, are not eligible for this service. A patron's library account must be current and in good standing in order to use LINK+.
- What kind of material can be requested through LINK+?Circulating books that are available in the LINK+ union catalog may be ordered through LINK+. Media materials, reference books, reserves and periodicals, as well as other special collection items may not be requested. Books and materials that may not be obtained through LINK+ may be requested from Interlibrary Loan.
- Why order books through LINK+?Requesting materials through LINK+ is an easy way to get books from over 40 participating libraries. The courier service used for deliveries provides shorter turn-around time. There are no forms to fill out and requests may be placed online. All that is needed is your name, Biola ID number and PIN (personal identification number).
- Can I request books that Biola University owns?If a book is available at Biola library, it cannot be requested through LINK+. However, books that are checked out, lost or missing may be requested through LINK+.
- How long will it take to get the book through LINK+?The time between placing a request and picking up the item at the Circulation Desk is approximately two to four days. Items will be held for pickup a total of 10 days.
- How do I check the status of my request?You may check the status of your LINK+ request by viewing your library account online.
- How long may I keep my LINK+ books? May I renew items?The loan period for a LINK+ book is 21 days. One three-week renewal may be requested if the lending library approves. You may check the status of your renewal request by viewing your library account online.
- How may I borrow Link+ materials?Patrons may borrow Link+ items by placing a request in the Link+ Catalog or by using the Visiting Patron program at participating member libraries. Your online library account will display pending requests, received books, and returned books still in transit.
- What are the overdue fines and replacement fees for LINK+ books?Fines for overdue books are $1.00 per day per item. The replacement cost for a lost/damaged LINK+ book is $115.00. Fines and replacement fees apply to Biola University students, staff and faculty.
- What is the
Visiting Patronoption and how do I use it?The
Visiting Patronoption of LINK+ allows a current Biola University student, staff or faculty member with a library account in good standing to go to a LINK+ member institution and check out books at that site. The books may be returned either at the owning library or at the borrower's home library.
- What is the
Pickup Anywherefeature allows you to place a request online and select the participating LINK+ library where you may pick up the book.