A need arose among several homeschooling families whose students were entering the junior high and high school years. Prayerfully considering their educational options, the parents continued to feel led to home educate their teens. The desire was there, yet a concern remained. How would families teach the more challenging subjects, such as Algebra 2, American Literature, Logic, Government, or Biology? After all, how many homeschoolers really want to dissect and inspect specimens on their kitchen table?
What began as two science classes multiplied into 20 classes at two campus locations. In 1998 Biola University’s S.T.A.R. was born!
- 1996: Science class held on Biola University’s campus and Co-op Science class offered through local ISP/PSP
- 1997: Biola University/Village Bible Academy Pilot Program, two regional campuses and 20 classes
- 1998: S.T.A.R. (Supplemental Tutoring of Academic Requirements) began under Enrollment Management as Community Programs and Services Department
- 1999: Four regional campuses and 70 academic classes
- 2000: Torrey Academy program added
- 2001: Opened extension sites and offered online classes
- 2005: Five regional campuses and 132 academic classes
- 2007: Name changed to Star Academics
- 2009: Six regional campuses, three extension sites, and online offering more than 200 academic classes
- 2010: Continuing to Impact the World for the Lord Jesus Christ!
- 2012: Piloted elementary classes in La Mirada
- 2011: Name changed to Biola Youth Academics and moved under the direction of School of Education
- 2014: Launch of Biola Youth Academics Private School Satellite Program for fall 2015
- 2016: Biola Youth Academics celebrate 20 years of service to the homeschool community!