The “Life of Jesus” in the Deeper Connections Bible study series is the fourth DVD and participant’s guide to be released by Rose/Hendrickson Publishing. Along with “The Last Days of Jesus” DVD, one has a 12-study overview of the main events and teachings from the life of Jesus, one of the most popular Bible classes in any Christian University. These studies, taught by top New Testament scholars, are now available for personal, church, and small group use. These studies are unique among many other DVD Bible studies in that they really emphasize three important aspects of good biblical teaching:
- Historical and cultural background
- An engaging, close look at the biblical text, and its meaning
- Accurate, encouraging, and challenging applications of the Bible’s message to life today
Here is the list of teachers:
- Dr. Darrell Bock, Dallas Theological Seminary
- Dr. Gary Burge, Wheaton College
- Dr. Scott Duvall, Ouachita Baptist University
- Dr. Susan Hecht, Denver Seminary
- Dr. Mark Strauss, Bethel Seminary
- Dr. Matt Williams, Biola University
The Life of Jesus DVD and participants guide covers the first six main lessons on Jesus’ life and ministry:
- Birthday Surprises—Birth of Jesus (Luke 2:1-16)
- John Prepares the Way—Baptism of Jesus (Matthew 3:11-17)
- The Victorious Son of God—Temptation of Jesus (Matthew 4:1-11)
- Fishing with the Master—Jesus Calls Disciples (Luke 5:1-11)
- Diseases Conquered—Jesus Heals the Sick (Matthew 9:27-34)
- Defeating the Enemy—Jesus Casts Out Demons (Mark 1:21-28)
Each of the lessons begins with an introduction filmed on location in Israel in order to better understand the cultural and geographical background. Then the lesson switches to a creative location in the United States that helps bring out the main emphasis of the passage. So, for example, the baptism of Jesus is filmed next to a river in Little Rock, Arkansas; Jesus heals the sick is shot in the mountains of Colorado Springs, in a location that was thought to contain magical healing waters by native Americans.
I have successfully taught these studies to groups of people from the ages of junior high school all the way up to 80-year olds. I highly recommend these creative studies for any group that you might lead—and they are easy to lead: they are truly plug and play. Let the New Testament scholars teach your lesson with all of their experience: your group simply follows along in the participant’s guide, which allows one to take notes and highlights important points. The participants guide also contain a five-day personal Bible study to help one to reflect further on each lesson during the week.
You can purchase the "Life of Jesus" series from Rose Publishing. There is both a DVD and workbook available for this series.