B.S. to M.A. Public Relations Program
Complete coursework at an accelerated rate — earning both your B.S. in Public Relations and Digital Media Management and M.A. in Public Relations and Reputation Management.
This alternative to the traditional track requires tenacity and careful planning and is the best fit for driven students willing to focus nearly exclusively on their education for the duration of the program. In addition to taking full course loads each trimester (including the summer), students admitted into the 3+1 Public Relations (PR) Program will take cross-listed, graduate-level courses that will require additional work as they pursue an accelerated program. After completing the B.S., students will have only 24 credits of their 33-credit master’s degree remaining.
Application, Admission and Ongoing Requirements
The application process for the 3+1 program does not begin until students have completed the 100-level courses within the public relations major (including PREL 104/105, PREL 107, PREL 110/111). Students must then submit an application to be reviewed by a faculty committee.
Following admission, continued enrollment in the 3+1 PR Program is contingent on meeting additional requirements. Students must:
- Maintain a 3.8 GPA in public relations coursework throughout the completion of the B.S. in Public Relations and Digital Media Management.
- Earn an “A” in the following courses: PREL 307, PREL 360, PREL 388/389, PREL 420.
- Demonstrate high competency in advanced coursework by enrolling in PREL 500 (cross-listed with PREL 460/461) and PREL 660 (cross-listed with PREL 465 and BBST 465) and earning an “A” in both courses.
- Pass a rigorous portfolio review of projects from upper-division courses. The rubric used to assess student portfolios will be made available to students considering applying to the program. All requirements must be satisfied in order for students to maintain 3+1 status.
- Apply and be admitted to the M.A. in Public Relations and Reputation Management, fulfilling the criteria and standards required of all applicants.
Standard Completion Track: B.S. to M.A.
Students who prefer not to enroll in the 3+1 PR Program but who desire to complete both the B.S. in Public Relations and Digital Media Management and M.A. in Public Relations and Reputation Management are welcome to complete coursework at a standard pace, applying to the master’s program following completion of the bachelor’s degree.
Please Note: Students who completed their undergraduate degree at Biola could need only to complete 30 credits of the 33-credit M.A. in Public Relations and Reputation Management. For more information or to discover your eligibility, consult your admissions counselor.