LA MIRADA, CALIF. — Today, Biola University launched its new online platform — Biola LEARN — for personal and professional development. Offering a variety of not-for-credit courses from Biola’s schools, academic centers, and departments, Biola LEARN (Lifelong Education And Resource Network) provides the university’s distinctive biblically-integrated education in a format that is accessible to the everyday person.
“We believe learning is a lifelong endeavor, so the LEARN initiative enables us to fulfill our mission by connecting our world-class faculty developed content to learners and serving their educational needs to impact the world for the Lord Jesus Christ,” said Susan Ishii, Chief Educational Technology Officer.
Biola’s academic programs can now deliver their teachings to wider audiences, including those who are not interested in a degree, from some of Biola’s top scholars in a format that can fit into an already full life.
In addition, the platform provides further training for those who are ineligible for a Biola graduate program such as pastors who haven't completed bachelor’s degrees, or those for whom a degree would be too expensive or time-intensive such as overseas missionaries. Biola LEARN also offers continuing education units for professions that require such credits to maintain certifications such as nurses, educators or psychologists.
Offered courses are much shorter than a typical academic course and offered at lower price points per course and at timeframes other than the typical semester schedule. Introductory pricing for the first courses will range from $9.99 to $24.99. Group courses and pricing are offered and come with a guide for a facilitator.
The following is a list of course offerings currently offered on Biola LEARN:
- Scott Rae, Professor of Ethics - Why Your Work Matters to God: Work, Vocation, and Calling
- Michael Wilkins, Professor of New Testament Language and Literature - Biblical Discipleship
- JP Moreland, Professor of Philosophy - Introduction to Christian Apologetics
- Apologetics - Critical Issues in Christian Apologetics
- Spiritual Development - Worship Leading and Spiritual Formation
- Center for Marriage and Relationships - The Art (and Science) of Relationships
- Center for Christian Thought - Seeking Christian Wisdom on Life’s Biggest Questions
- Les Harman, Professor of Marketing - Introduction to Non-Profit Management
New courses or certificates will be released on a periodic basis, approximately one new course per quarter. Courses are not for academic credit, but provided for personal and professional development, acquisition of competencies and skills, and/or continuing education.
Visit www.biola.edu/learn for more information and to create an account. The launch of Biola LEARN was broadcast on Facebook Live through Biola’s Facebook channel from 2 to 2:30 p.m. on September 6 and can be viewed at: https://www.facebook.com/Biola/videos/10155735642324329/.
Contact Jenna Loumagne, manager of media relations, for more information and interviews at (562) 777-4061 or email@example.com.