- Ph.D., Medieval and Early Modern History, Claremont Graduate University.
- Master of Arts, History (Medieval and Renaissance), California State University, Los Angeles, 1991.
- Bachelor of Arts, History, Biola University, 1988
Professor Llizo is a long-time faculty member of the Torrey Honors Institute, having taught since its inception in 1996. Born in Havana, Cuba, he came to the United States with his family in 1967, when he was but a year and a half old. Growing up in southern California, he devloped a life-long love of the San Gabriel Mountains, where he likes to take occasional hikes. Since high school he has had a continual love affair with history, philosophy and theology, with a special place in his heart for patristic and medieval studies. Professor Llizo has traveled Europe extensively, as well as Central America, and is now learning Italian. He hopes to master medieval Florentine in order to read the Divine Comedy.
- The Medieval Academy of America
Awards and Honors
- Phi Alpha Theta History Honors Society (Life Member)
- Book Review: “Mystical Metal of Gold: Essays on Alchemy and Renaissance Culture” (J. Linden, editor), Sixteenth Century Journal (to be published Spring 2009)