Dr. Karin Spiecker Stetina is passionate about teaching theology that is aimed at loving the Lord our God with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength (Matt. 22:37). She aims to relate theology to following Christ in daily life. She taught theology and church history for nearly 20 years at Wheaton College before coming to Biola University where she serves as an Associate Professor of Theology. She has been a consultant and an editor for Luther Digest and is currently on the committee for Church History Since 1700 for the Evangelical Theological Society. She has her ministry license with the Evangelical Free Church and has served on the Women’s Ministry Team at Grace Ev. Free in La Mirada, CA. Dr. Stetina’s research interests include Reformation Theology and the theology of John Calvin, Martin Luther, and Jonathan Edwards. She is the author of The Fatherhood of God in John Calvin’s Thought (Paternoster, 2016), Jonathan Edwards’ Early Understanding of Religious Experience (Mellen Press, 2011), and How to Read Theology for All Its Worth (Zondervan, 2020). She is blessed with four wonderful children: Caroline, Ellie, Cole, and Alex.
- How to Read Theology for All Its Worth. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, forthcoming 2020.
- The Fatherhood of God in John Calvin’s Thought. Milton Keynes, UK: Paternoster, 2016.
- Jonathan Edwards’ Early Understanding of Religious Experience: The New York Sermons, 1720-1723. New York, Mellen Press, 2011.
- “What is Christianity?” in The Popular Handbook of World Religions ed. by Daniel J. McCoy. Eugene, Oregon: Harvest House, forthcoming 2020.
- “Calvin’s Geneva: Missions as a Light to the World '' in Sixteenth Century Mission. ed. by Edward Smither and Robert Gallagher. Bellingham, Washington: Lexham Press, forthcoming 2020.
- “‘Abba Father’: Calvin’s biblical understanding of the fatherhood of God” in Since we are Justified by Faith. Justification in the Theologies of the Reformation. Ed. Mike Parsons. Milton Keynes, UK: Paternoster, 2012.
- “Luther in the Margins: What we can learn about Luther from marginalia in The Wheaton Copy of Operationes de Psalmos (1519-1521)” in Luther Digest Sonderfest. Milwaukee, WI: Lutherdigest, 2012.
- “John Calvin on Revelation and the use of feminine imagery for God.” in Aspects of Reformation. Reforming Theology and Practice. Ed. Mike Parsons. Milton Keynes, UK: Paternoster, 2013
- “The Biblical-Experimental Foundations of Jonathan Edwards’ Theology of Religious Experience, 1720-1723.” Puritan Reformed Journal, June 2009, Vol. 1, No. 2, 170-186.
- “The ‘Sense of the Heart’: Jonathan Edwards’ Public Expression of his Pietistic Understanding of Religious Experience.” Puritan Reformed Journal, February 2010, Vol. 2, No. 1, 197-212.
- “The Culture of Complaint: Moving from complaining to gratitude.” Biola Magazine, Fall 2016.
- “Ground the Character of Fatherhood in God’s Self-Revelation.” Talbot Magazine, Fall 2017.
- Book Review of D.G. Hart’s Still Protesting: Why the Reformation Still Matters in Themelios, April 2019, Vol. 44 No.1.
- Book Review of Ruth Tucker’s Katie Luther, First Lady of the Reformation in Evangelical Quarterly, Jan 2019, Vol. XC, No. 1.
- Book Review of Josh Moody’s Jonathan Edwards and Justification in Trinity Journal, Fall 2013, Vol. 34, No. 2.
- Endorsement for Kenneth Minkema & Adrian C. Neele’s ‘Sermons by Jonathan Edwards on the Matthean Parables, Volume III’, July 2012.
Lectures and Professional Presentations
- “Spirit & Story: Isaiah 6:1-13, Here I am, send me" Biola Undergraduate Chapel Speaker, February 4, 2019.
- “Reflecting God’s Holiness: Being Set Apart as Brides of Christ” Armenian Christian Fellowship of Orange County, April 21, 2017.
- “It’s Complicated: The Reformation and Women’s Place in the Church and in the World” Paper presented at The Evangelical Theological Society, Rhode Island 2017.
- “Set Apart: Discovering the Holiness of God” Women’s Conference Speaker, Laguna Hill Ev. Free Church, Jan. 19-21, 2018.
- “Here I Stand, I Can Do No Other: Luther’s Rediscovering of the Authority of Scripture and Justification by Faith Alone.” Grace Ev. Free Church, Oct. 29, 2017.
- “Practicing Lectio Divina” Rosemead Graduate School Chapel Speaker, October 17, 2017
- “Deeply Rooted: Further Equipping to Know and Love God’s Word” Women’s Conference Speaker, Grace Ev. Free La Mirada, March 10-11, 2017
- “God’s Glory and the Purpose of Life, Exodus 33:18.” Graduate Chapel Speaker February, 21, 2017.
- “But Who Do You Say that I Am?” Christology lecture for Torrey GC Morgen Conferences, 2015-present.
- “Luther’s Operationes de Psalmos (1519-1521) through the Eyes of Sigismundus” Paper to be presented at The Evangelical Theological Society, San Diego, November 2014.
- “Calvin on the Inspiration and Infallibility of Scripture.” Paper presented at The Evangelical Theological Society, Baltimore, November 2013.
- “Love Thy Neighbor: Gaudium et spes. Creation Care, and Evangelicalism.” Paper presented at The Evangelical Theological Society, Milwaukee, November 2012.
- “Revelation and Metaphorical Language for God: John Calvin on the Use of Feminine Imagery for God.” Paper presented at The Evangelical Theological Society, San Francisco, November 2011.
- “The Unfailing Father: Calvin’s Biblical Vision of the Fatherhood of God.” Paper presented at The Evangelical Theological Society, Atlanta, November 2010.
- “The Biblical-Experimental Foundations of Jonathan Edwards’ Theology of Religious Experience, 1720-1723.” Paper presented at The Evangelical Theological Society, Providence Rhode Island, November 2008.
- “What is the Chief End of Humans?: Soli Deo Gloria.” Wheaton College Grad Chapel, November 2008.