I teach systematic and historical theology for the graduate Dept. of Theology at Talbot.
Dr. Gomes specializes in systematic and historical theology. He has research interests in the doctrine of the atonement, Socinianism, American religious cults, and the doctrines of heaven and hell. Dr. Gomes most recently published 40 Questions About Heaven and Hell (Kregel, 2018). He served as the series editor of the 15-volume Zondervan Guide to Cults and Religious Movements (Zondervan, 1994) and wrote three books in the series: Unmasking the Cults (the introductory volume to the series), Unitarian Universalism, and Truth and Error: Comparative Charts of Cults and Christianity. He also edited an updated edition of W.G.T. Shedd's Dogmatic Theology (Presbyterian and Reformed Publishers, 2004). He has contributed articles to numerous journals, including Harvard Theological Review, Reformation and Renaissance Review, Westminster Theological Journal, Trinity Journal, and Presbyterian.
Books and Book Chapters
• 40 Questions About Heaven and Hell. Grand Rapids: Kregel, 2018.
• The Baker Dictionary of Cults, Sects, and World Religions. H. Wayne House, General Editor. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2018.
• “Reason Run Amok? The Protestant Orthodox Charge of Rationalism against Faustus Socinus (with Special Consideration of a ‘Smoking Gun’ Passage from De Jesu Christo Servatore).” Chapter in Church and School in Early Modern Protestantism: Studies in Honor of Richard A. Muller on the Maturation of a Theological Tradition. Edited by Jordan J. Ballor, David S. Sytsma, and Jason Zuidema. Leiden: Brill, 2013.
• “The Deity of Christ and the Cults.” Chapter in The Deity of Christ, Christopher W. Morgan and Robert A. Peterson, eds. Wheaton: Crossway, 2011.
• “The Value of Historical Theology for Apologetics.” Chapter in Reasons for Faith, Norman L. Geisler and Chad V. Meister, eds. Wheaton: Crossway, 2007.
• William Greenough Thayer Shedd, Dogmatic Theology. Edited, with historical and theological introduction, glossary, and critical notes by Alan W. Gomes. Philipsburg, NJ: Presbyterian and Reformed Publishers, 2003.
• Zondervan Guide to Cults and Religious Movements (15 volumes). [In addition to editing the series, I am author of three volumes: Unmasking the Cults (a general introduction to the cults), Unitarian Universalism, and Truth and Error.]
• “Shall All Be Saved? A Review of David Bentley Hart’s Case for Universal Salvation.” Credo vol. 9, issue 4 (December 2, 2019). https://credomag.com/article/s... [This is not a short book review but a 5500-word article.]
• “Justification and the New Perspective” (co-authored with Robert Saucy). Sundoulos (Spring 2011) 12-21.
• “Martin Luther and the Christian’s Vocation,” Emmaus Journal 19 (2010) 193-200.
• “Faustus Socinus and John Calvin on the Merits of Christ,” Renaissance and Reformation Review 12.2-3 (2010) 189-205.
• “The Rapture of the Christ: The ‘Pre-Ascension Ascension’ of Jesus in the Theology of Faustus Socinus (1539-1604),” Harvard Theological Review 102:1 (2009) 75-99.
• “Faustus Socinus’s A Tract Concerning God, Christ, and the Holy Spirit: Introduction, Translation, and Contemporary Relevance,” Journal of the International Society of Christian Apologetics 1:1 (2008) 37-57.
• “Some Observations on the Theological Method of Faustus Socinus (1539–1604),” Westminster Theological Journal 70 (2008) 49-71.
• Review Essay: Why I am not an Arminian (by Robert A. Peterson and Michael D. Williams) and Why I am not a Calvinist (by Jerry L. Walls and Joseph R. Dongell). Presbyterian 32/2 (Fall 2006) 73-82.
• “William Greenough Thayer Shedd (1820-1894) on Evangelical Unity: Some Prescriptions—Theoretical and Practical.” Presbyterian 29/1 (Spring 2003) 9-26.
• “What is Openness Theology?” (co-authored with Alan Hultberg). Sundoulos (Spring 2002) 8-11.
• “Tolerate This! Answering Unitarian Universalist Pluralism.” Michigan Theological Journal (Winter 1997).
• “Unitarian Universalists and the Second Law of Theological Thermodynamics: The Rise of Militant Pluralism.” Trinity Journal 17NS (1996) 147-166.
• “Cult-Proofing Your Church and Your Children.” Sundoulos (Spring 1996) 3-5.
• “Learning from the Past.” Interest (October 1994) 12-13.
• “Winds of Change in the Worldwide Church of God.” Presbyterian 20/2 (1994) 91-108.
• “The Worldwide Church of God: Acknowledging the ‘Plain Truth’ About the Trinity?” Christian Research Journal (Spring/Summer 1994) 29-31, 39-40.
• “De Jesu Christo Servatore: Faustus Socinus on the Satisfaction of Christ.” Westminster Theological Journal 55 (1993) 209-31.
Dictionary and Encyclopedia Articles
- “Unitarian Universalist Association.” Harvest House Handbook of World Religions.
Eugene: Harvest House (Forthcoming 2020).
- “Socinus, Faustus.” Blackwell Dictionary of Christian Apologists. R. Douglas Geivett, ed. Oxford: Blackwell (Forthcoming 2020 or 2021).
- “Faustus Socinus on the Atonement.” T & T Clark Companion to the Atonement,
ed. Adam Johnson. London: T&T Clark, 2017.
- The Baker Dictionary of Cults, Sects, and World Religions. H. Wayne House, General Editor. (I served as one of the Assistant Editors.) Grand Rapids: Baker, 2018.
- Arianism (815-word article)
- Christianity, Protestant (1800-word article)
- Pelagianism (500-word article)
- The Blackwell Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization. George T. Kurian, editor. Oxford: Blackwell, 2011.
- Atonement, Theories of (3,100-word article)
- Christology, Christological Controversies (3,000-word article)
- Conditional Immortality (1,000-word article)
- Deism (500-word article)
- Socinianism (1,000-word article)
- “How Should a Christian Relate to Those in Non-Christian Movements and Religions?” Apologetics Study Bible. Ted Cabal, general editor; Chad Brand, E. Ray Clendenen, Paul Copan, and J. P. Moreland, associate editors. Nashville: Broadman and Holman, 2007.
- “Cult” in the Evangelical Dictionary of Christian Education, Michael J. Anthony, ed. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2001.