Here are the correct answers to Biola Magazine’s Biblical Literacy Quiz:
1. John Mark leaves the company of Paul and Barnabas to return to Jerusalem during Paul’s first missionary journey.
2. In Daniel’s dream, four beasts emerged from the sea.
3. Eutychus was a man who fell asleep listening to Paul preach.
4. The tribe of Levi was set apart for temple work and service to the Lord.
5. Boaz is referred to as a “kinsman redeemer.”
6. Zerubbabel led the first return from exile.
7. The Gospel of Matthew begins with a genealogy of Jesus that includes foreigners like Ruth (a Moabite) and Rahab (a Canaanite) among the ancestors of Jesus.
8. Jesus’ feeding of the 5,000 appears in all four Gospels.
9. Revelation describes the “beast out of the sea.”
10. Onesimus was the name of Philemon’s slave.
11. James argues that “faith without works is dead.”
12. The sun stands still in the book of Joshua.
13. Lot’s wife was turned into a pillar of salt.
14. Saul, David and Solomon were the first three kings of the united kingdom of Israel. (Saul’s son Ish-bosheth reigned two years over all but Judah.)
15. Romans contains the verse: “For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone who believes …”
16. Saul escaped in a basket from those who wanted to kill him in Damascus.
17. In the Gospel of John, Nicodemus came to Jesus by night and heard about being born again.
18. Philippi was not one of the “seven churches” mentioned in the book of Revelation.
19. Philip baptized the Ethiopian Eunuch in Acts 8.
20. Snakes were not one of the 10 plagues of Egypt.