K. Erik Thoennes
- Ph.D., Trinity Evangelical Divinity Schools
- M.A., Wheaton College Graduate School
- M.A., Wheaton College Graduate School
- B.A., Central Connecticut State University
Dr. Thoennes is committed to teaching biblical and systematic theology so that he and his students love God and people more fully. He strives to make the necessary connections between the study of theology, obedience to Jesus, and fulfilling the Great Commission. He has taught theology and evangelism at the college and seminary levels for several years and is a frequent guest speaker at churches, conferences, and retreats, in addition to co-pastoring a local church. Dr. Thoennes has received the University award for faculty excellence and professor of the year. His research interests include godly jealousy, the atonement, the exclusivity of Christ, and theology of culture.
- Evangelical Theological Society
Awards and Honors
- Leadership Award, Central Connecticut State University, 1985
- Outstanding Student Award, Central Connecticut State University, 1985 & 1986
- GTE Academic All-American (District I) for Football, 1986
- Scholar Athlete Medal of Merit, Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference, 1986
- T.W. Wilson Award in Evangelism, Wheaton Graduate School, 1995
- Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Ph.D. Student Scholarship, 1998
- Biola University 2003 Robert B. Fisher Award for Faculty Excellence
- Biola University 2003 Professor of the Year
- Research and Development Grant, Biola University, for research on a theology of sport, Spring, 2006
- Research and Development Grant, Biola University, for Social Justice research in India, Spring, 2007
- Biola University 2007 Professor of the Year
- Research and Development Grant, Biola University Department of Biblical Studies and Theology, for research leading to publication of 2 contracted books on Christian doctrine, Spring 2010
- “A Guide to Biblical and Theological Studies”, co-author with Michael Wilkins, in the forthcoming Reclaiming the Christian Intellectual Tradition Series: A Guide for Students, Crossway, 2011.
- “A Sure Foundation: A Summary of Basic Christian Doctrine”, forthcoming, Crossway, 2010.
- Overview of Doctrine 13 essays in the ESV Study Bible, Crossway, Fall 2008.
- “Created to Play: Thoughts on Play Sport and the Christian Life” chapter in The Image of God in the Human Body: Essays on Christianity and Sports, Donald Deardorff and John White eds., Edwin Mellen Press, 2008. Named 2009 Christian Book of the Year by the Evangelical Christian Publishers Association.
- “Godly Jealousy: A Theology Of Intolerant Love.” Mentor Press (CFP). March 2005.
- “Reading for Life: 100 Christian College Teachers Reflect on the Books That Shaped Their Lives.”Xlibris (Random House), 2002. J. Davis, T. Martin & Ryken (eds). Wrote three book review entries.
- “Light on the Way” By J. Wilbur Chapman. Editor and introduction. The Institute of Evangelism, Wheaton, IL, April 1998, editor and introduction for republication.
- “The Inspirational Study Bible” Tyndale House Publishers, 1994. Study notes and introductions for various chapters.
- “The Bible and Revelation”, Boundless Webzine (Oct. 28 2008).
- J. Wilbur Chapman Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization, Blackwell, Fall, 2008.
- Study Guide for Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem, Zondervan, June, 2008.
- “What if I Cant Remember a Time When I Was Saved?” Christianity Today, December 2007.
- “Laughing Through Tears: The Redemptive Role of Humor in a Fallen World”, in Presbuterion, Fall 2007.
- “At Home in Our Bodies: The Implications of the Incarnation for Embodiment and Counseling Psychology” with Elizabeth Hall, Christian Scholars Review, Fall, 2006.
- “A Jealous God” Biola Connections, Fall 2005.
- “Can Someone Be Almost Saved?” Christianity Today: April 2004.
- “Seeking Gods Will”, Biola Connections, Summer 2002.
- Review of BibleWorks 5.0, Christian Software.com http://www.bibleworks.com/reviews/reviews_thoennes.htm, November, 2002.
- “An Invitation to Adultery: Religious Pluralism in Light of Divine Jealousy”. The Confessing Movement of the UMC, http://ucmpage.org/articles/ethoennes.html, December, 1999.
- “The Bookshelf.” Equipping Evangelists. Volume 9, September 1997. The Institute of Evangelism, Wheaton, IL.
- J. Wilbur Chapman: The Pastor Evangelist. Equipping Evangelists. Vol 5, June 1994
- “The Apostle's Creed”, scholar interviews for 4 part video series, Third Millennium Seminary Cirriculum, 2009.
- “Deepening Life Together”, primary teacher for DVD Bible Study Series on the book of Acts, Baker Publishing Group, July 2008.
- “Deepening Life Together”. scholar interviews for various topics, DVD Bible Study Series, Baker Publishing Group, November 2008.
- “The Promises of God,” Baker Books Video Bible Study series for Baker Publishing Group, September, 2008.
- Expert Interview, “Miraculous Messages: From Noah's Flood to the End Times”, Video production, Grizzly Adams Productions, Inc. October, 2007, www.biblecodesecrets.com.