After earning a B.A. from Biola and an M.A. from California
State University, Fullerton in Communication Disorders, Tonya started her
career working as a speech-language pathologist in a public school early
intervention program. Her work included assessment and treatment of young
children from a variety of ethnic and socio backgrounds with various
communication disorders including phonological delays, apraxia of speech,
autism, and language delays. After
working for twelve years as a speech-language pathologist, Tonya came to Biola
and began teaching in the Communication Sciences and Disorders Program. She holds a PhD in Exceptional Student
Education from Northcentral University.
Her research interests include the provision of speech and language
services via telepractice, treatment and assessment of pediatric phonological
disorders, clinical education, and international speech-language pathology.
Professional Trainings and Presentations
- “Supervisor Behaviors at a Variety of Developmental Levels.” American Speech and Hearing Association Convention. November, 2012.
- “Helping Children with Language Processing Disorders in the Classroom.” Association of Christian Schools International Conference, November, 2011.
- “Knowing the Difference Between Normal Speech Development and a Speech Delay.” ASCI Early Educator’s Conference, Long Beach. May, 2011.
- “Supervisor Behaviors for Effective Supervision.”. California Speech and Hearing Association Convention. March, 2011.
- “When to Refer a Child to a Speech Pathologist”. Association of Christian School International Convention, Anaheim, November 2008.
- “Language Development in Preschool Activities”. Plaza de la Raza Headstart Teacher Training, May, 2007.
- “Preventing Inappropriate Behaviors in the Preschool Classroom”. Santa Fe Springs Child Development Program, Santa Fe Springs, CA.
- Part 1: Preventing Misbehavior January, 2007.
- Part 2: Goals of Misbehavior February, 2007.
- Part 3: Positive Discipline March, 2007.
- Part 4: Problem Solving for Specific Behaviors April, 2007
- “Naturalistic vs. Clinical Intervention Strategies: Training for Bilingual Assistants”. Whittier Area Cooperative Special Education Program, March, 2007.
- “Administering the ADOS in the Assessment of Preschool Child with Autism”.
Whittier Area Cooperative Special Education Program Summer Conference, June
- “Stuttering in the Preschool Child: Training for Bilingual Assistants”. Whittier Area
Cooperative Special Education Program, April, 2006.
- “The Role of Phonemic Awareness in Language Intervention: Training for Preschool
Teachers”. Plaza de la Raza Headstart Teacher Training, October 2006.
- “The Special Education Assessment Process for Preschool Aged Children”. Santa Fe
Springs Child Development Program, September, 2005.
- “Gathering a Language Sample: Training for Bilingual Assistants”. Whittier Area
Cooperative Special Education Program, October, 2005.
- “Intellectual Disabilities Awareness”. Intellectual Disabilities Awareness Chapel, Biola
University, October, 2008.
- “Purposeful Parenting: Handling Difficult Behaviors” Building Healthy Families
Conference, Rosewood Christian Reformed Church, Bellflower, CA August, 2008.
- “Purposeful Parenting: Developing a System of Discipline”. Building Healthy Families
Conference, Rosewood Christian Reformed Church, Bellflower, CA July, 2008.