Ronald W. Pierce
- Ph.D., Fuller Theological Seminary
- Th.M., Talbot Theological Seminary
- M.Div., Talbot Theological Seminary
- B.A., John Brown University
Dr. Pierce, recipient of the Teaching Excellence Award, the Dean's Incentive Award, and the President's Award, specializes in Old Testament studies, the Israel-Palestine Conflict, and the evangelical gender debate. He has written articles for International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, Bulletin of Biblical Research, Trinity Journal, Catalyst, Mutuality, and Priscilla Papers. From 1987-2001 he and his wife Pat directed Biola's undergraduate travel-study program to Israel and Palestine. Dr. Pierce also developed and maintains “Old Testament Interactive”, an online educational software program designed to teach the history, geography, and biblical literature relating to the world of the Old Testament. His latest publication is “Discovering Biblical Equality: Complementarity without Hierarchy”, a compilation of 26 evangelical, egalitarian contributors to the gender debate.
- Evangelical Theological Society
- Institute for Biblical Research
- Society of Biblical Literature
- American Academy of Religion
Awards and Honors
- Nominated Who's Who Among American Teachers, 1998.
- University's President's Award for administrative accomplishments in developing Biola's Service Learning program, 1992.
- Robert B. Fischer All-University Teaching Excellence Award, 1990.
- Talbot School of Theology's Dean's Incentive Award for Administrative Work in the Development of Biola's Israel Studies Program, 1988.
Books, Volumes, Chapters
- Work in progress (accepted for publication): “Daniel, Teach-the-Text Commentary”. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2012.
- Forthcoming: “Partners in Marriage and Ministry”. Minneapolis: Christians for Biblical Equality, 2010.
- “OTI Online”. Fullerton: Old Testament Interactive and Knight Shift Consulting, 2009-present.
- “Discovering Biblical Equality: Complementarity without Hierarchy”, Ronald W. Pierce & Rebecca Merrill Groothuis, eds. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2005. Co-editor and contributor.
- “Old Testament Interactive.” La Mirada: Biola University, 1999-2003 (http://people.biola.edu/faculty/oti/).
- “Old Testament History & Literature: A Workbook for Getting Acquainted with Genesis through Malachi.” La Mirada: Biola University, 1992-2003.
- Notes for “Haggai” “Zechariah” “Malachi” in "New American Standard Study Bible." La Mirada: Lockman, 1993.
- “MacIsrael.” San Diego: Chariot Software Group, 1992.
- “Israel Atlas.” San Diego: Chariot Software, 1990.
- “Rameses” in "International Standard Bible Encyclopedia: Revised." Grand Rapids: Eerdman's, 1987.
- “1 Corinthians 7: Paul's Neglected Treatise on Gender,” Priscilla Papers 23/3, 2009.
- “The Feminine Voice of God: Women as Prophets in the Bible,” Priscilla Papers 21/1, 2007.
- “Barak, a Faith Hall-of-Famer who Followed a Woman's Lead,” Mutuality 13/2, 2006.
- “Clarity, Charity and Confrontation in the Evangelical Gender Debate,” Catalyst 32/2, 2006.
- “Conditionality of Covenant and a Future for Israel.” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, 37/1, 1994.
- “Evangelicals and Gender Roles in the 1990's: I Timothy 2:8-15: A Test Case.” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, 36/3, 1993.
- “The Politics of Mordecai and Esther: Courage or Compromise?” Bulletin of Biblical Research, 2, 1992.
- “Spiritual Failure, Postponement and Daniel 9.” Trinity Journal, 10 NS, 1989.
- “Male/Female Leadership and Korah's Revolt: An Analogy?” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, 30/1, 1987. Pp. 3-10.
- “A Thematic Development of the Haggai/Zechariah/Malachi Corpus.” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, 27/4, 1984. P.p. 401-411.
- “Literary Connectors and a Haggai/Zechariah/Malachi Corpus.” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, 27/3, 1984. Pp. 277-289.