message: Illegal character at end of document, <.
Richard C. Langer
Professor of Biblical and Theological Studies
Director, Office for the Integration of Faith and Learning
- Ph.D., University of California, Riverside
- M.A., University of California, Riverside
- M.Div., Talbot Theological Seminary
- B.S., Colorado State University
- Evangelical Theological Society
- Ordained Minister, Evangelical Free Church of America
Awards and Honors
- Provost Award for Excellence in Biblical Integration, 2008
- Theological Education Renewal Award Program, Faith As A Way of Life Grants, Yale Divinity School, Semi-finalist Award, 2006
- Who’s Who in the World, 2005
- Who’s Who in America, 2004
- Chancellor's Distinguished Fellowship, 1985-6, University of California, Riverside
- M. Div. summa cum laude, 1985 Talbot Theological Seminary
- Who's Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges, 1985
- William Bass Award, Philosophy of Religion, 1983
- National Dean's List 1982-3
- Honor Societies: Phi Beta Kappa; Phi Kappa Phi; Kappa Tau Epsilon (Talbot Seminary Honor Society)
- B. S. magna cum laude, Colorado State University, 1979
- Gustavson Award (1979: senior research project; 1978: academic excellence)
- “Role of Suffering in Human Flourishing: Contributions from Positive Psychology, Theology, and Philosophy” Journal of Psychology and Theology with M. Elizabeth Lewis Hall Jason McMartin, in press.
- “Disability, Calling, and A Kind of Life Imposed on Man” in Foundations: Christian Perspectives on Disability Ministry, Christian Institute on Disability Joni and Friends, forthcoming 2010
- “Niggle's Leaf and Holland's Opus” Evangelical Review of Theology April 2009
- “Human Flourishing: The Context for Character Development in Christian Higher Education” Christian Higher Education, with M. Elizabeth Hall and Jason McMartin, in press.
- “Emerging Church, Abiding Church or Departing Church” Proclamation!, forthcoming
- “Humans, Commodities, and Humans-in-a-sense”, Philosophia Christi, May/June 2008
- “The Faith Once For All Delivered To The Saints” Proclamation!, Vol. 8:No. 6, Nov/Dec 2007
- “The Tree: Are You Connected?” Proclamation!, Vol. 8:No. 3, May/June 2007
- “Voluntary Intercourse and Fetal Rights: A Response” The Journal of Social Philosophy, 31:3, Fall 2000
- “Silverstein and the 'Responsibility Objection,'” Social Theory and Practice, 19:3, Fall 1993
- “Abortion and the Right to Privacy,” The Journal of Social Philosophy, 23:2, 1992
- “Do Me the Honor of Shame” Beacon, November 1998.
- “Velcro Generation” Pursuit, Summer 1998
- “Bunnies and Eggs, Crosses and Nails” Worldwide Challenge, March/April 1993.
- “To Know Him is to Love Him,” Worldwide Challenge, May/June 1990.
- November 2007, “John Cotton and Roger Williams: Letters from the Past and Lessons for the Present”, Evangelical Theological Society Annual Meeting.
- February 2007, “The Tree of Church History”, Former Adventist Fellowship Conference.
- April 2006: “The Perils and Prospects of Theological Integration in Christian Universities”, Far West Regional Meeting, ETS.
- March 2006: “Of Peretti, Potter and Puddleglum”, Through the Wardrobe: Christianity and Culture Conference, California Baptist University.
- October 2004; “Creation, Creature, or Commodity”, plenary session, 48th Annual T. Hart Baker Obstetrics and Gynecology Symposium, (Southern California Kaiser Permanente).
- November 2003: “A Biblical Basis for Bioethics”, plenary session, Central American Medical Dental Association Annual Conference, San Pedro Sula, Honduras.
- June 2002; “Philosophy of Religion” (4 day seminar), Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago.
- May 1996; “Virtue and the Physician”, Kaiser Permanente Hospital, Family Practice Conference, Fontana CA.
- October 1995; “Christian Bioethics, Evangelical Political Action and Modern Moral Dilemmas”, plenary session, Christian Medical and Dental Society, Regional Meeting, Phoenix AZ.
- August 1995; “Human Flourishing and Community” Loma Linda University, Psychiatry Grand Rounds.
- March 1995; “The Ethics of Medical Marketing”, plenary session, 19th Annual Hawaii Dermatology Seminar.
- October 1994 ; “Making Prevention Pay” (an analysis of the ethical implications of dental capitation systems), seminar session, American Association of Public Health Dentistry Annual Meeting.
- May 1994: “The Bible and the Good Society”, National Evangelical Consultation on Bioethics.
- March 1994 “Aristotle and Human Flourishing” Loma Linda University, Psychiatry Grand Rounds.
- February 1994 : “Martin Buber and the Challenge of the Therapeutic Relationship” Loma Linda University, Psychiatry Grand Rounds.
- March 1993: “Swinburne and the Nature of Faith”, Intermountain Meeting of the Society of Christian Philosophers.
- Sept. 1992: Lecture on Medical Ethics, UCLA Family Practice Residency, weekly conference at Ventura County Hospital.