Torrey Honors Institute is an exemplary liberal arts and biblical studies program for undergraduates at Biola University.
“We send our children to school, they are not allowed to think; they are simply crammed and crammed.”
The Torrey Honors Institute is a program in the liberal arts general education for undergraduates at Biola University. Modeled on the Oxbridge tutorial system, Torrey is designed to hone students' critical thinking skills by exposing them to classical texts and using discussion as the primary mode of instruction. Torrey is extraordinary among programs in classical education because:
- Torrey offers individual mentoring and a tight-knit Christian community
- Torrey allows students to study any major offered by Biola University
- Student evaluation is based on the individual's progress
- The tutors work with the students in applying the discussed ideas to all areas of life
- Torrey stresses academic excellence, but also values students who demonstrate abilities in diverse fields