Cook School of Intercultural Studies
Our certificate programs are composed of various courses created by Biola faculty. This certificate program includes 9 courses.
By enrolling in this certificate, the courses offered will be displayed for you to complete in "My Courses" in your homeroom.
About this Certificate
The TESOL Certificate is designed to equip learners with the essentials of teaching the English language, often in an informal, non-academic setting. As you work through the nine courses in this certificate, you will learn a variety of methods to aid in your teaching, and you will apply these methods to create your own lessons. At the beginning of the Capstone course, students will submit key assignments from the first 8 TESOL courses to demonstrate readiness for the Capstone project. Students will then create and submit a sample lesson plan which will be evaluated for the Biola LEARN TESOL Certificate.
After obtaining this certificate, learners will develop the skills to:
- Understand key aspects of English grammar, vocabulary, and pronunciation along with how to teach them
- Plan lessons, especially focused on speaking
- Manage classes for effective teaching and learning
- Use ethical principles to guide teaching and interaction with students
- Design courses
The TESOL Certificate contains nine courses including a Lesson Planning Capstone. The recommended order of completion is:
- TESOL: Essentials
- TESOL: Teaching Speaking
- TESOL: Teaching Pronunciation
- TESOL: Professionalism
- TESOL: Classroom Management
- TESOL: Teaching Grammar
- TESOL: Teaching Vocabulary
- TESOL: Course Design
- TESOL: Capstone
Not sure which TESOL track is right for you? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions for more information