Student Employment

Biola Career Development has relationships with hundreds of employers offering a variety of jobs and internships. Opportunities are listed on BiolaLINK- click "jobs and internships." Off Campus Student Employment office is located in Student Services, open 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

The On-Campus Student Employment Office is located in Metzger Hall. When you know your class schedule for the semester and the hours you are available to work, stop by to review the list of jobs available. Fill out an application for the jobs that interest you, then deliver the application(s) to the appropriate department(s). Interviews are set up through individual departments.

Student Employment Questions

Everything you need to know about getting a job on or off campus.

  1. How do I get a job at Biola?
    • Our On-Campus Student Employment office handles on-campus jobs. On-Campus Student Employment is located in Metzger Hall, the main administration building for the University, and is open from 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. When you know your class schedule for the semester and the hours you will be available to work, you can check the On-Campus jobs folder in Firstclass to see if any of the open positions interest you, or come to the office to look at the job postings board. There, you will be assisted in identifying positions that will best match your skills, interests and time frame. Completed applications should be taken to the department you are applying to. It is each department's responsibility to conduct interviews and make job offers. A downloadable version of the application can be found in the On-Campus jobs folder in FirstClass or you can pick one up in the On-Campus Student Employment office.Note: If you plan to apply for an on-campus job at Biola, make sure you bring from home proof of eligibility to work in the United States in order to complete the required paperwork. All documents must be originals. Some common types of identification we see are:
      • A U.S. Passport, expired or unexpired (when providing a U.S. Passport is the only document required)
      • A driver's license and a Social Security Card
      • A school ID and a Social Security Card
      • A driver's license and a birth certificate
      • A school ID and a birth certificate

  2. After being hired at Biola what's the next step?
    • When you have been offered a job on campus you will return to the On-Campus Student Employment office to complete the following necessary hiring forms:
      • Biola University Student Payroll Approval form (provided and signed by your supervisor).
      • W-4 Federal Government form.
      • I-9 employment verification form that satisfies federal immigration requirements. All hires are required to complete the form.
      Be sure to bring proof of eligibility to work such as Social Security card, valid Driver's License, passport, or visa documentation as listed above. International students (F-1 visa) must bring their I-20, passport, and Social Security card.Once these forms have been completed, On-Campus Student Employments will issue your first time card, color-coded in blue, which signifies your readiness to begin work on campus. You will also be given instructions on how to access and complete future web timecards. At this time you may also complete paperwork for the direct deposit of your paycheck or to have part or all of your paycheck applied to your school bill.

  3. How can I locate off-campus work?
    • Biola Career Development has relationships with hundreds of employers offering a variety of jobs and internships. Opportunities are listed on BiolaLINK. Career Development is located in the Student Development Building across from the gym, open 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

  4. How many hours can I expect to work?
    • It is recommended that all undergraduate student limit their work to 20 hours per week on campus when classes are in session, and 40 hours per week when classes are not in session. However, this guideline is a federal requirement for non-immigrant students attending on F-1 visas.

  5. How do I get paid?
    • Student employees at Biola complete time cards. Paychecks are issued biweekly from the Accounting Department in Metzger. You may choose to have a portion of your paycheck applied directly to your student bill. This is accomplished by completing a voluntary payroll deduction form which is available in the On-Campus Student Employment office. Both the On-Campus Student Employment and Accounting departments are ready to assist you.

  6. Are there breaks?
    • You are allowed a paid rest period of 10 minutes in each of the morning and afternoon work periods if the work period is four or more hours. Rest periods may not be skipped to reduce time from regular hours of work in order to leave work early.Students are not required to work more than five hours without a meal break of 30 minutes. If the total work period for the day is not more than six hours, then the meal period may be waived by mutual consent between the student and the supervisor. If your shift is longer than six hours, a 30-minute, unpaid meal break is required. Meal time is unpaid and may be 30 to 60 minutes, depending on the department's schedule.

  7. What about overtime and Holiday pay?
    • Students paid an hourly wage are eligible for overtime pay. Overtime is paid at 1 1/2 times the regular hourly rate after 8 hours of work in one day or 40 straight time hours worked in a week.Student workers are not awarded paid holidays. However, if a supervisor requires work on a holiday, the students will receive double time for working on Biola holidays. If the date of a Biola-observed holiday does not match the date of the nationally observed holiday, the holiday bonus will be paid to student employees who work on either day. However, if a student works on both days, only one day will be payable as a holiday.

  8. What are my responsibilities as a student worker?
    • When you are hired for a position at Biola, you are making a serious commitment. The department that has hired you will depend on you to perform specific duties. Notify your supervisor promptly if you have a change of schedule, if you are sick, or if you are going to be late. When you are unable to work, it is important to let your supervisor know at the beginning of the work day. Just as in any job, you will be expected to be prompt, reliable, dependable, and willing to perform the work required. Should you decide to terminate your position, it will be important to give your supervisor a reasonable notice of termination.

  9. Who is responsible for safety?
    • At Biola, we are very concerned about the occupational safety of faculty, staff, and students. A hazard-free environment is not only safer, but also more enjoyable to work in; therefore, our desire is the prevention of work-related injuries and illness.After you are hired for an on-campus job, your supervisor will go over the Student Employee Safety Agreement Form with you. They will identify the potential hazards specific to your job and instruct you in how to safely operate any machinery your job may require. Consult your supervisor regarding safety expectations, as discipline for unsafe acts varies by department. Student workers are expected to refrain from horseplay and dangerous behavior on the job, and to consider their safety and the safety of others at all times.It is the policy of Biola University that the workplace be free of illicit drugs and alcoholic beverages, and free of their use. The University wishes to provide a drug-free work place for its employees. The on-campus manufacturing, distribution, dispensing, possession, or use of a controlled substance is unlawful, violates the University "Standard of Conduct," and is therefore prohibited.

  10. What about taxes?
    • FICA (Social Security and Medicare) and DI (Disability Insurance) are not deducted from on-campus student employees who are enrolled in 12 or more units at Biola University and do not regularly work more than 20 hours per week. However, if a student works on campus when school is not in session, and is not enrolled in a class at Biola, the law requires that the FICA and DI be deducted from the student paychecks.Students attending Biola on non-immigrant (F1) visas are FICA and DI exempt.

  11. Is there a grievance procedure?
    • If a problem arises, first talk it over with your supervisor. Discussion usually leads to a better working relationship as well as a better working environment. If you fail to reach a satisfactory understanding with your supervisor, you may take the matter up with that person's immediate supervisor. You should notify your supervisor of your intent beforehand. If you are still unable to come to a satisfactory solution, you may take your concern to the Student Employment Administrator in Human Resources. Supervisors and department heads have a joint responsibility to be aware of and to resolve such employee-supervisor matters in a cooperative, mutually beneficial fashion. In almost all cases a solution is reached at this level.

  12. What if I experience harassment on the job?
    • If any student believes that he or she is the victim of any type of harassment, including sexual or racial harassment, the student should immediately report the incident to an immediate supervisor. If that supervisor is involved in the problem, the report should be made to Human Resources. The University will fully and effectively investigate any such report and will take whatever corrective action is deemed necessary. The University will also take action to protect the reporting student to prevent further harassment or retaliation.

  13. Is there a dress code?
    • The University expects employees to be well-groomed and dressed in a manner appropriate for their work. In general your appearance should be modest, in good taste, safe and suitable for the work to be done.You'll find that the appropriate dress will vary by department. In Facilities Services or in food services, you will be required to wear a uniform. There may also be protective equipment such as safety goggles that will be required in some jobs. In other positions appropriate office attire could be important. It is helpful to check with your supervisor to learn exactly what is expected.A good rule to follow is to wear clothing that generally matches that of non-student employees doing similar jobs in the department. This is especially important in positions that "meet the public."

  14. What happens if I am injured on the job?
    • If while on the job a student employee suffers an injury the student should report to the Biola Health Center immediately to obtain treatment. If it is a life threatening injury, the student should seek treatment at the closest ER.The Health Center is open Monday - Friday, 8 am - 5 p.m. The center will either treat the injury or direct the student to our primary facility for occupational injuries. The student will need to go to the Human Resources department to receive the appropriate worker's compensation paperwork.The contracted emergency medical facility that we use is St. Jude Heritage Medical Group at 2720 N. Harbor Blvd, Suite 130, Fullerton at 714-449-6200. Our secondary facility is Healthfirst Medical Group Ð North at 11817 E. Telegraph Rd, Santa Fe Springs at 562-949-9328. Within three days, after the student has received emergency treatment for his or her injury, the student must return the paperwork to the Human Resources office. On-the-job safety is included in the performance evaluation of all Biola employees.

  15. Will my work performance be evaluated?
    • Biola encourages supervisors to evaluate student employees. This proves to be a valuable tool in helping student employees find out how they are doing on their jobs and provides an excellent means of communication and development.

  16. Am I a part of Biola's Commuter Incentive Program?
    • If you are hired on campus and start on or more of your workdays between the hours of 6 a.m. and 10 a.m., Monday through Friday, you may qualify in our commuter program. It could mean payment of a "dollar a day" by walking, biking, using transit, or carpooling to work. Biola's contribution to the cause for cleaner air is contained within the provisions of the Commuter Incentive Program. Enrolling in the program will be done by the information you provide on your Hiring Authorization form. Please pick up a Commuter Incentive claim form from Human Resources or University Employment on campus if you are eligible for any part of each month.