Faculty | Worship Arts
- Associate Professor, Worship Arts
- Area Coordinator, Worship Arts
- Ph.D., University of California, San Diego
- M.M., in Composition, State University of New York, Binghamton
- B.M., University of British Columbia
Barry Liesch is the founder of the Worship Arts program at Biola. He also writes curriculum for courses in Improvisation and Pop Theory, and teaches several courses in the Worship Arts department.
Education & Influences
- Additional studies in Piano with the Royal Conservatory of Music in Canada
- Teachers include Pulitzer-prize winners Bernard Rands and Roger Reynolds
As a nine-year old boy, he was...
- Associate Professor, Guitar and Commercial Music
- Commercial Music Area Coordinator
- D.M.A. in Studio/Jazz Guitar Performance, University of Southern California
- M.M. in Studio/Jazz Guitar Performance, University of Southern California
- B.M. in Guitar Performance, Biola University
- B.M in Music Education, Biola University
Jeff Askew is an adjunct professor at Biola University and has dedicated his life to music education. He has a background in music ensemble, guitar and sound production. He graduated from Biola with a bachelor’s degree in Music Performance and from USC with a master’s degree in music studio. Askew has performed and recorded with numerous musical artists and theatre productions. He has also...
- Artist in Residence, Worship Arts
Tommy Walker is a worship leader, singer/songwriter, speaker, author and has served at his home church, Christian Assembly in Los Angeles, CA, for over 25 years.
Tommy has written over 200 songs that are currently tracked by C.C.L.I. and are sung in churches around the world. His most popular songs include: He Knows My Name, That's Why We Praise Him, Only A God Like You, Mourning Into Dancing, I...
- Adjunct Professor, Worship Arts
A worship architect with extensive and proven expertise in designing, developing and leading contemporary worship and creative arts ministries, Sherri Alden teaches Biola's upper-level Designing and Leading Worship course for Worship Music majors. Her experience and talent further strengthens Biola's program in the areas of creative content production and development, and worship leading for...
Designing and Leading Worship
- Studio Artist, Contemporary Voice
Nancy is currently the Director of Music and Arts at Messiah Lutheran Church and teaches Contemporary Voice lessons for Music in Worship students. Nancy is a California native, raised in Ontario, California. Her love for music started at an early age; inspired by her father, Herman. She met her husband, Daniel, at Azusa Pacific University, where they both pursued music. Her two sons, Maxwell...
- Studio Artist, Electric Guitar
In his formative years, Doug Jackson studied with guitar legend Ted Greene. He won five Outstanding Musicianship awards from the National Association of Jazz Educators and one from the American Honor Arts Association before attending Berklee College of Music.
Jackson has performed with Kenny Loggins, Ambrosia, Michael McDonald, Bryan Duncan, Bill Champlin, Edgar Winter, Marie Osmond, Dave...
David Michael Loucks
- Studio Artist, Contemporary Voice
David Michael Loucks is a studio singer, arranger, and vocal contractor in Los Angeles, Calif. With over 20 years in the industry, David has recorded and performed with such artists as Katy Perry, Pentatonix, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, 30 Seconds To Mars, and Harry Styles, as well as for TV and films such as "Glee," "American Idol," "Dancing With The Stars," "Sing," "Star Trek Beyond" and...
- Studio Artist, Drum Set
David Owens has played for Fernando Ortega, Tommy Walker, Sara Groves, Bebo Norman, Crystal Lewis, Cheri Keaggy, Paul Baloche, The Righteous Brothers, Thomas Dolby and Peter White to name a few. He played drum set for the Los Angeles production of The Lion King at the Pantages Theater in Hollywood for over two years. He has played on countless jingles and many soundtracks.
Currently he plays...
- Adjunct Professor, Contemporary Piano
- Certificate in Arranging and Composition, Berklee College of Music, Boston
A composer, arranger, producer, songwriter and jazz pianist, Mr. Pantoja has performed on stage and in the recording studio with artists such as:
- Carlos Santana
- Gloria Estefan
- Alejandro Sanz
- Ricky Martin
- Israel Houghton
- Brenda Russell
- Christopher Parkening
- Lee Ritenour
- Frank Gambale
- Tommy Walker
Recognized as a skilled keyboardist, he is also respected internationally as a composer, arranger,...
- Studio Artist, Electric Bass
Norm Stockton travels extensively throughout North America, Europe and Asia. He has been profiled in Bass Player magazine and is recognized by many as one of today's premier bassists. From 2006 to 2012 he was the touring and recording bassist with chart-topping worship artist (and former Steve Perry's guitarist) Lincoln Brewster. Norm has also performed or recorded with a number of...
- Adjunct Professor, Music History
- Ph.D. Musicology, University of Southern California (Los Angeles, CA)
- M.A. Music History and Literature, University of Southern California (Los Angeles, CA)
- B.M. Violin Performance, Biola University (La Mirada, CA)
- B.S. Mathematics, Biola University (La Mirada, CA)
After earning a Bachelor of Science in mathematics and a Bachelor of Music in violin performance, summa cum laude, from Biola University (2003), Leonora Wagner continued her studies at the University of Southern California, receiving a Master of Arts in music history and literature (2005) and a doctorate in historical musicology (2012) with a dissertation focusing on the writings and music of...
Music History I
Music History II