Faculty, Staff and Studio Artists | Music in Worship
- Associate Professor, Music in Worship
- Area Coordinator, Music in Worship
- Ph.D., University of California, San Diego
- M.M., in Composition, State Univeristy of New York, Binghamton
- B.M., University of British Columbia
Barry Liesch is the founder of the Music in Worship program at Biola. He also writes curriculum for courses in Improvisation and Pop Theory, and teaches several courses in the Music in Worship department.
Education & Influences
- Additional studies in Piano with the Royal Conservatory of Music in Canada
- Teachers include Pulitzer-prize winners Bernard Rands and Roger Reynolds
As a nine-year old boy,...
- Associate Professor, Guitar
- Area Coordinator, Commercial Music Program
- D.M.A. Candidate in Studio/Jazz Guitar Performance, University of Southern California
- M.M. in Studio/Jazz Guitar Performance, University of Southern California
- B.M. in Guitar Performance, Biola University
- B.M in Music Education, Biola University
Jeff Askew is an adjunct professor at Biola University and has dedicated his life to music education. He has a background in music ensemble, guitar and sound production. He graduated from Biola with a bachelor’s degree in Music Performance and from USC with a master’s degree in music studio. Askew has performed and recorded with numerous musical artists and theatre productions. He has also...
- Adjunct Professor, Music in Worship
A worship architect with extensive and proven expertise in designing, developing and leading contemporary worship and creative arts ministries, Sherri Alden teaches Biola's upper-level Designing and Leading Worship course for Music in Worship majors. Her experience and talent further strengthens Biola's program in the areas of creative content production and development, and worship leading for...
Designing and Leading Worship
- Studio Artist, Contemporary Voice
Nancy is currently the Director of Music and Arts at Messiah Lutheran Church and teaches Cross-Over Voice lessons for Music in Worship students. Nancy is a California native, raised in Ontario, California. Her love for music started at an early age; inspired by her father, Herman. She met her husband, Daniel, at Azusa Pacific University, where they both pursued music. Her two sons, Maxwell and...
- Adjunct Professor, Music in Worship
- Studio Artist, Electric Guitar
In his formative years, Doug Jackson studied with guitar legend Ted Greene. He won five Outstanding Musicianship awards from the National Association of Jazz Educators and one from the American Honor Arts Association before attending the Berklee College of Music in Boston.
Mr. Jackson has appeared on Integrity, Word and A&M recordings. He has performed with Kenny Loggins, Ambrosia, Bryan...
- Studio Artist (Drum Set)
David Owens has played for Tommy Walker, Sara Groves, Bebo Norman, Crystal Lewis, Cheri Keaggy, Paul Baloche, Bill Medley, Rebecca St. James, The Righteous Brothers, Thomas Dolby, and Peter White to name a few. He was the house drummer for the Los Angeles production of The Lion King at the Pantages Theater in Hollywood for over 2 years (and 900 shows). He has played on countless jingles and...
- Adjunct Professor (Contemporary Piano)
- Studio Artist (Electric Bass)
- Adjunct Professor, Music History
- Ph.D. Musicology, University of Southern California (Los Angeles, CA)
- M.A. Music History and Literature, University of Southern California (Los Angeles, CA)
- B.M. Violin Performance, Biola University (La Mirada, CA)
- B.S. Mathematics, Biola University (La Mirada, CA)
Music History I
Music History II
David Michael Loucks
- Studio Artist (Voice)
David Michael Loucks is a studio singer, arranger, and vocal contractor in Los Angeles, Calif. With over 20 years in the industry, David has recorded and performed with such artists as Katy Perry, Pentatonix, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, 30 Seconds To Mars, and Harry Styles, as well as for TV and films such as "Glee," "American Idol," "Dancing With The Stars," "Sing," "Star Trek Beyond" and...
Adam Del Monte
- Studio Artist