Faculty | B.A. in Music
- Associate Professor, Guitar and Commercial Music
- Area Coordinator, Commercial Music Program
- D.M.A. Candidate in Studio/Jazz Guitar Performance, University of Southern California
- M.M. in Studio/Jazz Guitar Performance, University of Southern California
- B.M. in Guitar Performance, Biola University
- B.M in Music Education, Biola University
Jeff Askew is an adjunct professor at Biola University and has dedicated his life to music education. He has a background in music ensemble, guitar and sound production. He graduated from Biola with a bachelor’s degree in Music Performance and from USC with a master’s degree in music studio. Askew has performed and recorded with numerous musical artists and theatre productions. He has also...
- Adjunct Professor
- Director, Women's Chorus
- B.M., Music Education, Biola University
Carol Aspling holds a Bachelor of Music Degree from Biola University, receiving the Outstanding Music Education Student Award. Currently, she serves on the faculty of Biola University where she conducts the Women’s Chorus. During her tenure at Biola, the Women’s Chorus has participated in many festivals, performed at a multitude of venues and has also toured and performed throughout California...
- Director, Conservatory of Music
- Professor of Music
- D.M.A., Piano Performance and Literature, University of Rochester, Eastman School of Music
- M.M. Piano Performance, University of Colorado
- B.M., Piano Performance, University of Colorado
George Boespflug is the Director of Biola's Conservatory of Music. He holds a Doctor of Musical Arts degree from the Eastman School of Music where he held a Performance Fellowship and Teaching Assistantship in piano. He also holds undergraduate and masters degrees in performance from the University of Colorado where he was a Fiske scholar.
Boespflug has had opportunity to travel the world as a...
- Adjunct Professor, Music Education
- M.A., Educational Administration, University of La Verne
- B.A., Elementary Education with concentration in Music, California State University, Long Beach
- Preliminary Administrative Credential, University of La Verne
- Life Credential from California State University, Long Beach
Susan Craig has been a music educator for over 50 years. She was born, raised and educated in Southern California and has taught music to students from ages 2 to 22 and older. She especially likes working with elementary school children as they start on their musical journey. She has written curriculum, published recorder books and given many workshops at the local and state levels. She was a...
- Area Coordinator, Woodwinds, Brass and Percussion
- Director, Symphonic Winds and Brass Ensemble
- M.M., Performance and Literature in Trumpet, University of Rochester, Eastman School of Music. Graduate Assistant.
- B.M., Trumpet Performance, University of Southern California, Los Angeles
Robert G. Feller has performed with the California Philharmonic, California Wind Orchestra, the Long Beach Municipal Band, the Rochester Philharmonic, Pasadena Symphony, Pasadena Chamber Orchestra, the Ontario Brass, the Nazareth Brass Quintet and played lead trumpet in dozens of Civic Light Opera productions. Since 1972 he has been a trumpet performer in many of Disneyland’s atmosphere...
- Professor, Percussion and Composition
- Director, Jazz Ensemble
- M.A., California State University, Fullerton
- B.A., California State University, Fullerton
- Doctoral Equivalency in Percussion Performance, Biola University
As a percussionist, Mr. Hulling has been an extremely active performer within the greater Los Angeles music scene. He has performed with the Pacific Symphony Orchestra for over 30 years. He has also been the primary percussionist at the Ahmanson Theater for their musical theater productions. Just a few of the Broadway shows on his resume include:
- Beauty and The Beast
- Professor, Piano
- Area Coordinator, Piano
- D.M.A. in Piano Performance, Peabody Conservatory, Johns Hopkins University
- M.M. in Piano Performance, Peabody Conservatory, Johns Hopkins University
- B.A. in Piano Performance, National Taiwan Normal University
“A major musician of tremendous stature, a deeply probing artist.” (Dr. Tom Wendel, late Chair of the American Beethoven Society.)
“What a paradise life would be if all the concerts I reviewed were as good as this one. Pianist Li-shan Hung gave a truly extraordinary performance…, making music at the highest level….” (New York Concert Review)
As a winner of the Artists International, Li-shan...
- Adjunct Professor, Piano
- M.M., Piano Performance, Indiana University
- B.M., Piano Performance, Ueno Gakuen University
"As a teacher and as a mentor, Professor Kawamura has been to me an exemplary model of dedication, selflessness, and wisdom. I have grown spiritually, emotionally, intellectually and musically under her guidance, and I cannot begin to thank her enough for everything that she has done for me, to challenge and inspire me as a musician and as a Christian." (Briana Ung, alumna 2014)
- Adjunct Professor
- Director, Men's Chorus
- M.M. Choral Conducting, CSU, Fullerton
- B.M. Vocal Performance, Biola University
Matthew Kellaway, alumnus of Biola University, is conductor and director of the Men’s Chorus for the Biola Conservatory of Music, and he lends his continuing support to the vocal performance ensembles and programs of the Conservatory.
Mr. Kellaway is an established professional lyric baritone vocal performer in the Southern California area currently singing with the Pacific Chorale and the...
- Adjunct Professor, Improvisation
- B.A., Political Science, with a Music Minor, California State University, Fullerton
Pianist and composer Ron Kobayashi has performed with a variety of musical artists including Mel Torme, Kenny Burrell, Peter Frampton, Tom Scott, Margaret Whiting, Peter White, Najee, Eric Marienthal and comedian Bob Saget. For five years Ron served as musical director for the Hollywood Diversity Awards where such stars as Chris Rock, Rosario Dawson and George Lopez were honored. Ron has made...
- Studio Artist, Electric Guitar
In his formative years, Doug Jackson studied with guitar legend Ted Greene. He won five Outstanding Musicianship awards from the National Association of Jazz Educators and one from the American Honor Arts Association before attending Berklee College of Music.
Jackson has performed with Kenny Loggins, Ambrosia, Michael McDonald, Bryan Duncan, Bill Champlin, Edgar Winter, Marie Osmond, Dave...
- Associate Professor, Violin and Chamber Music
- Area Coordinator, Strings
- Director, Chamber Music
- Postgraduate Degree in Violin Performance, Guildhall School of Music, London
- M.M. in Violin Performance, Yale University
- B.M. in Violin Performance, Indiana University
The Boston Globe has praised Elizabeth Larson’s playing as having “great charm and refinement…and breathtaking virtuosity.” Larson began violin at the age of three, and since first soloing with the Milwaukee Symphony at age seven and the Boston Pops at age 11, she has gone on to perform internationally as a renowned soloist and chamber musician. Her tours have brought her to four continents...
- Adjunct Professor, Piano
- M.M. Piano Pedagogy, University of Oregon
- M.M. Piano Performance, University of Oregon
- B.M. Music Education, Biola University
- B.M. Piano Performance, Biola University
Gina Lord began her studies at the age of six in Salem, Oregon. She won many local competitions and debuted with the Portland Youth Philharmonic at the age of sixteen. While at Biola as a student of Jenny Wong, Lord was privileged to perform in masterclasses for Menahem Pressler and Bela Siki and was awarded the Outstanding Musician of the Year, Outstanding Pianist of the Year as well as other...
- Studio Artist, Drum Set
David Owens has played for Fernando Ortega, Tommy Walker, Sara Groves, Bebo Norman, Crystal Lewis, Cheri Keaggy, Paul Baloche, The Righteous Brothers, Thomas Dolby and Peter White to name a few. He played drum set for the Los Angeles production of The Lion King at the Pantages Theater in Hollywood for over two years. He has played on countless jingles and many soundtracks.
Currently he plays...
- Associate Professor, Music History and Cello
- Area Coordinator, Strings
- Director, Biola Symphony Orchestra
- M.A. University of California, San Diego
- B.S. Minnesota State University, Mankato
Mr. Owen is currently Area Coordinator of the Strings Department and is the private instructor for applied cello lessons. He is also the conductor of the Biola Symphony Orchestra, and he teaches the Music History and Music Culture courses. His dynamic teaching style and eclectic musical career contribute to his students' rich learning experience in class, at lesson, and under his baton. Alumna...
- Adjunct Professor, Contemporary Piano
- Certificate in Arranging and Composition, Berklee College of Music, Boston
A composer, arranger, producer, songwriter and jazz pianist, Mr. Pantoja has performed on stage and in the recording studio with artists such as:
- Carlos Santana
- Gloria Estefan
- Alejandro Sanz
- Ricky Martin
- Israel Houghton
- Brenda Russell
- Christopher Parkening
- Lee Ritenour
- Frank Gambale
- Tommy Walker
Recognized as a skilled keyboardist, he is also respected internationally as a composer, arranger,...
- Adjunct Professor (Voice)
- Professor, Voice and Opera
- Area Coordinator, Voice
- D.M.A. in the Musical Arts, with Cognate in Opera Direction and Production, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati Conservatory of Music
- M.M. Voice Performance, Kent State University
- B.M. Music Education, Kent State University
Jeanne Robison has served as Voice Area Coordinator at the Conservatory since 1995 and served as director of opera from 1995–2014. Under her leadership, enrollment in the voice area almost tripled between 1998 and 2007. and students under her tutelage have gone on to esteemed graduate schools including Eastman, Manhattan School of Music, Mannes, Peabody, USC, Boston University, Michigan State,...
- Associate Professor
- Director, Biola University Chorale and Vocal Jazz
- Director, Choral Activities
- D.M.A., University of Southern California
- M.M., Eastman School of Music
- B.S., John Brown University
Shawna Stewart is the director of choral studies at Biola University in La Mirada, Calif. where she conducts the Biola University Chorale and the Vocal Jazz Ensemble. As associate professor, she also teaches courses in conducting and choral methods. With graduate degrees from the Eastman School of Music (M.M. Conducting) and the University of Southern California (D.M.A. Choral Music), Stewart...
- Adjunct Professor, Music History
- Ph.D. Musicology, University of Southern California (Los Angeles, CA)
- M.A. Music History and Literature, University of Southern California (Los Angeles, CA)
- B.M. Violin Performance, Biola University (La Mirada, CA)
- B.S. Mathematics, Biola University (La Mirada, CA)
After earning a Bachelor of Science in mathematics and a Bachelor of Music in violin performance, summa cum laude, from Biola University (2003), Leonora Wagner continued her studies at the University of Southern California, receiving a Master of Arts in music history and literature (2005) and a doctorate in historical musicology (2012) with a dissertation focusing on the writings and music of...
Music History I
Music History II
- Adjunct Professor, Music Composition
- M.M., Music Composition, California State University, Long Beach
- B.M. Music Composition, California State University, Northridge
- Kodály Method certification from OAKE, ASCI and C-BEST certification
Christopher J. Wills has performed and recorded for film and television productions including Columbia Pictures’ Spider-Man 2, toured in concert with singer and actress Lorna Luft (daughter of Judy Garland) and Jim Curry with the Pacific Symphony, Houston Symphony, Cincinnati Pops and other orchestras at major venues such as Colorado’s Red Rocks and Irvine’s Verizon Wireless Amphitheater. Wills...
- Studio Artist, Organ
Jung-A Lee has performed in Europe, North America, and Asia as organist, pianist and conductor. She currently serves as the organist at St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church in Newport Beach. In addition, she teaches at Biola University and Vanguard University. Lee is also the Artist-in-Residence for Pacific Chorale, directed by Maestros John Alexander and Robert Istad. In 2009 she founded Music...
- Associate Professor, Music
David Michael Loucks
- Studio Artist, Contemporary Voice
David Michael Loucks is a studio singer, arranger, and vocal contractor in Los Angeles, Calif. With over 20 years in the industry, David has recorded and performed with such artists as Katy Perry, Pentatonix, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, 30 Seconds To Mars, and Harry Styles, as well as for TV and films such as "Glee," "American Idol," "Dancing With The Stars," "Sing," "Star Trek Beyond" and...