Master of Divinity (Evangelism and Discipleship)
The Master of Divinity with a concentration in Evangelism and Discipleship — offered on campus and in a hybrid program with up to half of the coursework available online — prepares you to become an effective evangelists, to disciple believers in living the Christian life, and to be ready to equip others involved in outreach or evangelistic ministries.
This program offers specialized training in how to make new disciples and mature existing followers of Christ, with a curriculum that includes evangelism and follow-up, church planting, biblical church growth and small group discipleship. Through this concentration, you will be well-equipped to lead and teach in a variety of roles, whether as a pastor, a church ministry leader, or as an educator at the undergraduate or graduate and seminary level.
Request More Information
Why Study Evangelism and Discipleship at Talbot?
- Proclaim the Good News — and Mobilize Others to Join. All believers are called to preach the gospel, but many often feel unprepared to fulfill the task. This program offers practical training and tools to help you share the gospel in various contexts and settings — whether in the United States or abroad — including how to respond to questions and skepticism in an increasingly secular, post-truth world.
- Learn to Understand and Seek the Spirit’s Work in Discipleship. The Christian life is about transformation, not just conversion. In this program, you’ll learn to help new believers and followers of Christ live out their faith and to recognize the Spirit’s work in their spiritual growth. Disciple believers and multiply this effort as you train other believers in the work of evangelism and discipleship.
- Grow the Local Church. Learn what it takes to grow disciples and a church, and how to cooperate with God in this work. Be equipped with the tools and knowledge necessary to launch out and pursue a calling to plant a church and lead new bodies of believers.
- Prepare to Provide Pastoral Leadership. The Master of Divinity provides a broad-based seminary education that prepares you in every way to teach and preach the Word of God, to offer pastoral counseling, to help believers apply the truth of God’s Word in their daily lives and to evangelize.
- Communicate Biblical Truth with Accuracy and Relevance. Much of your training involves digging into the Word of God and understanding the biblical authors’ intended meaning. You’ll gain the necessary skills and tools to exegete the Bible by learning Scripture’s original languages, Greek and Hebrew. Then, you’ll practice applying the knowledge you’ve gained in exegesis and interpretation in your preaching classes. This is what you need to communicate God’s Word to people today — faithfully, clearly and relevantly.
- Learn on the Job with Guidance from Mentors. There’s no greater learning experience than what you learn on the job. That’s why Talbot’s M.Div. programs require field education and internships, giving you the opportunity to continue serving at your church or other place of ministry, or a new ministry you’ve been wanting to explore. Many of Talbot’s professors also serve in their local churches — some as pastors and elders — so they are eager to share wisdom and insights with you on life and serving in ministry.
For more reasons to choose Talbot School of Theology for your education, see the Why Talbot? page.
What Will I Study?
Each of Talbot School of Theology’s Master of Divinity programs include a core of biblical and theological foundation courses, the Spiritual Formation Core, a sequence of Hebrew and Greek, training in preaching and counseling, and an area of ministry specialization.